Best way to dig..... By hand

T.Heck

Jun 12, 2017
freeport, IL
Looks like the second go around with the bobcat might be a while so I'm thinking about going ahead and trying to do some digging by hand.
I'd imagine if I till it and shovel it out that would be the easiest way?
Any recommendations welcomed.

Depends how deep you have to dig. I had 6" worth in some spots so I used a tiller to loosen it up in that area. The tiller was on it's last leg and had dull tines so it wasn't really going too deep but helped me get down close to where I needed to be. Took us a few weeks to dig it all out by hand so after that long the rain and our feet compacted anything loose. If you have to go say 6" nothing wrong with using a tiller to help loosen the top part. May need to adjust the depth of the tines so you don't get too deep.

We used a tiller to loosen the ground, then dug with the shovel........pick axe for random stones, then rake and repeat. :D As I said in my earlier post........we went down 18" on the high side, all dug by hand. I've heard that a pitch fork can help loosen the ground up as well. :)

I dug mine out by hand - about 12-14" on the one side.

Me (60-some year old woman), a shovel, a hoe and a wheelbarrow. Took me for-freaking-ever! Dig some, rest some, dig some more, rest some more and on and on. 20 years ago this would have gone faster, but hey - now I'm lounging on my pool float contemplating the clouds. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.