Best type of cover for a semi-inground pool with a narrow wood deck?

gerzak

Jul 3, 2023
Northwest Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I finally finished building my semi-inground pool…just in time to figure out how I plan to close it up for the winter. :)

It’s 9x13 and 4 feet deep with a vinyl liner. The bench top is about 18 inches wide, and the height above the ground is about 20 inches.

With the narrow ipé wood deck/bench around it, I’m not quite sure what would be the best type of winter cover. I’m thinking about getting a waterproof safety cover, but don’t really want a ton of mounting holes in the wood decking—though I could perhaps put the anchors on the side of the pool frame and let the straps go over the edge and down the sides.

Thoughts?

IMG_6448.jpeg
IMG_6439.jpeg

but don’t really want a ton of mounting holes in the wood decking—
That would be a shame. And WELL done, that's beautiful. (y)

IMO you don't have the width. The cover is a foot larger than the pool on all sides and the spring is probably 10 inches once latched.

though I could perhaps put the anchors on the side of the pool frame and let the straps go over the edge and down the sides
Now there's an idea !!! But I imagine the straps would leave marks or grooves in the wood, basically sanding it a little every time they flexed/rubbed.

I'd use a tarp style cover and tie it like a belt under the lip of the deck.

Hang tight for more thoughts.

Beautiful job. I'm looking at the same manufacturer. Would you mind sharing your impression of that pool? Would you buy it again or look for something else?
Thanks! It’s my first pool build, so I can’t really compare it to anything, but the process of putting it together was pretty straightforward. The frame is really well-made, and the liner went in without much trouble. The frame was also sturdy enough as a good base for the deck that I built around it, I have to come up with some creative details to get the deck to be as low profile as it is. I’d be happy to answer any questions you have about how I put it together.

You could have a safety cover cut large enough that it drapes well over the pool and touches the ground. It could then be anchored in the grass or rocks with anchor tubes. No holes in the deck needed. Second option would be even more custom but have a cover cut that resembles a box that covers the top and vertical walls of the pool with a strip for the anchor straps flush with the ground, again using anchor tubes in the rocks/grass.

[/QUOTE]
Second option would be even more custom but have a cover cut that resembles a box that covers the top and vertical walls of the pool with a strip for the anchor straps flush with the ground, again using anchor tubes in the rocks/grass.
I like the custom box idea. I’ll consider saving up for that for next year. This year I went a cheaper route, with a simple heavy duty tarp—but I stretched it over a platform made of repurposed industrial aluminum racks that look sort of like lightweight ladders. The nice thing is that it stays perfectly flat, even with snow on top. I bought the aluminum frames used for like $150. Maybe I’ll turn them into a dock frame if I don’t reuse them on the pool next year! 😄

IMG_9575.jpegIMG_9811.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.