Best Solar Cover Reel for IGP

carlscan26 said:
Check out this page for ideas on how best to cut the cover for odd shaped pools and a pretty cool roller solution for those pools. I made my own out of 1" PVC and it works well - my wife can roll up the covers and pull them on and off the pool (though of course she prefers I do that).

http://solarfactory.com/solar-roller-de ... ement.html

Carl, if I understand correctly, you came up with a homebrew solution that's very similar to the Solar Roller CoverStick. I can't quite visualize what you've engineered for a handle/crank for this. Would you mind posting a pic or two so I can get a better idea of what you concocted?

I don't have enough decking to permanently mount any kind of reel. My current approach is to fold the solar blanket and then roll it up on a big piece of perforated PVC, but it's a very ungainly process so I tend to use my cover very rarely. But with the drought conditions here in West Texas, I feel like I need to do whatever I can to reduce water loss via evaporation.

I'm confident that the CoverStick approach would work well for my kidney-shaped in-ground concrete pool but I'd having a tough time with the price.

carlscan26 said:
Check out this page for ideas on how best to cut the cover for odd shaped pools and a pretty cool roller solution for those pools. I made my own out of 1" PVC and it works well - my wife can roll up the covers and pull them on and off the pool (though of course she prefers I do that).

Hey Carl the rollers look great the only question I have is for the 5' sections did you glue them together or are they just pressure fitted. I am assuming glued but is would be nice to take it apart during the winter months.

slicerd said:
carlscan26 said:

Hey Carl the rollers look great the only question I have is for the 5' sections did you glue them together or are they just pressure fitted. I am assuming glued but is would be nice to take it apart during the winter months.

They are glued together. Pressure fitted wont hold.

I hear you on the storage; it's crossed my mind too. You could try screw type fittings with a cross bolt to keep it from coming apart when you unroll. Use stainless steel if you go that route.

Thanks for the tips on cutting. It went well. I tied the cutting scissors to my wrist just in case. Looks good:

photobucket-39350-1333828585890.jpg

WestSidePool said:
Leebo said:
@westsidepool

Like I mentioned, I changed out the cover holders with a clamp kind (tarp clamps), since I didn't like the ones it came with.

WestSidePool,
Could you be more specific about the clamps you purchased and where you purchased them. I am about to order another solar cover and reel and will want to use something better than the clamps that come with the cover. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is the one I bought about 2 seasons ago.
So far its been great. It's easy to use/move around. My wife can get the cover off by herself. Typically takes 2 to put the cover back on, But I can do it myself if i have to.
For the winter, I disassemble the 3 sections for storage in my shed.

Oh I did replace the cover clips, since I didn't like the ones it came with.Y

As for cutting the solar cover to fit, make sure you leave it lay out for a day or so so it fully expands before cutting it.
And I've also heard for odd shaped pools, some people cut them into multiple sections for easy removal replacement and skip the whole solar reel.
I have a Grecian shaped pool, so I can't comment on if that is accurate or not, just what I've heard.

Your link took me to the "store", which reel did you like?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.