Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine

I just bought 2 gallons of 10% at ACE hardware for $2.99 per gallon. The date code was from December of 2016. I have not used it yet, so I can't speak to the potency of it yet. I'm thinking about doing a dilution test with a liter of distilled water and 0.1 ml of the chlorine to test the strength with my test kit. He had 4 more gallons on the shelf, all of the same date code, if the strength of the gallons I bought is high enough I'll go back and buy the rest of his stock so I can see if his next shipment is from a newer batch.

The ACE sale price is good through the end of June.

Last edited:
I am curious about date codes. I see this mentioned a few times. Does the bleach become less effective the older it is? I don't see any dates on the bottles I recently bought. It was a good price @ $2. a gallon for 10%.

I just bought 2 gallons of 10% at ACE hardware for $2.99 per gallon. The date code was from December of 2016. I have not used it yet, so I can't speak to the potency of it yet. I'm thinking about doing a dilution test with a liter of distilled water and 0.1 ml of the chlorine to test the strength with my test kit. He had 4 more gallons on the shelf, all of the same date code, if the strength of the gallons I bought is high enough I'll go back and buy the rest of his stock so I can see if his next shipment is from a newer batch.

The ACE sale price is good through the end of June.

Not sure if that's much of a bargain, depending on how it was stored. The concentration is likely below 8% at this point. Not sure what typical pricing is for Clorox or other 8.25% bleach in your area though. My most recent 12.5% purchase was dated 17146!

If there are no date codes, I tend not to buy it either. At $2 a gallon, there's not much risk though.

What I really like about Ocean State Job Lot is that during the season they have a high turn over rate and their stock of Shock is always fresh. Today I bought 12 one gallon jugs ($2.99 each) of Pool Tech Shock with a date code of 17152. That's a June 2, 2017 born on date.

Not sure if that's much of a bargain, depending on how it was stored. The concentration is likely below 8% at this point. Not sure what typical pricing is for Clorox or other 8.25% bleach in your area though. My most recent 12.5% purchase was dated 17146!

If there are no date codes, I tend not to buy it either. At $2 a gallon, there's not much risk though.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. These were on the shelf in an air conditioned store and the guy told me that they don't have any outside storage areas. But I'm planning on testing the strength when I get off work on Wednesday morning.

In my area, my other choices are the 10% 128 oz jug at Walmart for $3.64 and the 8.25% 121 oz jug at Walmart for 2.94. Both of the versions at Walmart were about 3 months fresher.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
- - - Updated - - -

Our Menards had it for $3.49/gallon over Memorial Weekend :yawn: I'll have to check again today.

It wound up only being the Burlington store that had it at that price. I went to a store in Kenosha that had it $3.49 and wasn't sure why. The manager said it was likely another store in Burlington had it at that price so that local Menards was matching the price. :(

They did actually have it on sale last weekend at my closest location. Usually it's Memorial Day but this was something like 6/1 through 6/3. 1 gallon of 12.5% for $2.49. Born date was 17146. Pretty darn fresh too! I picked up 10. Would have gotten more but had already picked some up when Fleet Farm had them on sale for the same price 4/$10, several weeks ago. Fleet Farm has it in stock most of the summer for 4/$15 which isn't great, but nice to have a reliable supply.

Ocean State Job Lot in the Northeast is definitely the best right now. $2.99 for 12.5%, and high turnover so super fresh. BJs has it for $13.99/case of 4, which is close, but OSJL is definitely better. Walmart had 10% for $2.50 last year, but it's still at $3.64 or whatever this year, so a terrible deal by comparison. WM still seems competitive for CYA, from what I can see.

If you live in NC or a few select places in SC and you're lucky enough to be near a Lowes Foods, they have "Dazzling Bleach" generic brand, 'concentrated' 8.25% version, unscented, for $0.97 per 121-oz jug. SUPER good deal, and it goes through July 14. :kim: Date code on my jugs was 17-130, which translates to May 10th of this year so relatively new. The math on the works out to something like 9.7-cents per oz of chlorine.

Something tells me that I'm going to buy a bunch of these over the next several days and weeks. Unfortunately they only had 6 of these when I was there tonight. Figures, I bought 8 gallons of 10% 'pool chlorinating liquid' from Wal-Mart over lunch today for $3.64/gallon. :(

xz98HtX.jpg

q81qkrL.jpg

This is the $2. Per gallon stuff from Rural King. I am unsure how to read this day code.

If it's 139 of 17, that's May 19th? Guessing the rest may be factory​ or lot numbers???

It says it's 10%, and when I use the pool calc and retest 30 min later it is dead on.
d769e88a2dd043822591524123c0bb44.jpg
fe148d7e683c2fbb21afaf9385a923ae.jpg
7030a8e28f73413046905c6e74f70c53.jpg

This is the $2. Per gallon stuff from Rural King. I am unsure how to read this day code.

If it's 139 of 17, that's May 19th? Guessing the rest may be factory​ or lot numbers???

It says it's 10%, and when I use the pool calc and retest 30 min later it is dead on.
d769e88a2dd043822591524123c0bb44.jpg
fe148d7e683c2fbb21afaf9385a923ae.jpg
7030a8e28f73413046905c6e74f70c53.jpg
Is that bottle translucent?? I hope it came in a box. Why would you ship bleach in a container susceptible to UV? Odd.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support