Best copper test? Do I need one?

Jun 8, 2023
Indianapolis, Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just ordered my first TF Pro test kit and noticed it does not have a test for copper. For three years, I've been informed through pool store computer testing that my copper count is high. I regularly add a metal out product to lower it. It climbs again. A friend of mine has the same issue, and we figured the copper may be coming from our heaters. Now that I've given up pool store testing, is there a reliable copper test I can do myself to be on the safe side?

Your pool should not have copper in it unless you are adding it. Are you?
The home metal tests are quite expensive.

Your pool heater will not introduce copper unless you keep your pH below 7 or you have a trichlor thing right after the heater and the pump turns off.

Have you added any algaecides, blue products, or anything with "minerals"? These are the most common ways people introduce copper to their pool, and typically the pool owners don't even know those products contain copper (and the pool store for sure isn't going to tell them).

what folks above have said is that you shouldn't really need a copper test. Copper VERY rarely comes from nature and if your pH has been in the 7's and you have not introduced copper chemistry then you probably don't have it..........making the pool store test false........pretty common.

You have the best kit there is for a homeowner. Always trust your own testing and, sadly. distrust the pool store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.