Beginner Chemical Purchase

That's a great feeder! I used one on my AG pool but just used the bottom feed vs the way its on yours. Since you are using liquid chlorine (for now?) that feeder will come in handy for vacations. Unfortunately the CYA will go up with trichlor pucks but the pool will go green without chlorine.

Is there a benefit to using trichlor pucks vs liquid chlorine?

Use a floating dispenser if you use Trichlor pucks on vacation, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I assume you were adding 5 ppm FC per day as you cannot test yet? If so, that is fine. If you have little CYA, the FC will dissipate rapidly.

I have no experience with the puck thing, so I would suggest you look up instructions on how to open it up.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Noted.

As far as chlorine, should I continue liquid dosage at 5 ppm or check for a puck? To check do I just put in service and open the top?
The pucks are adding chlorine and stabilizer. Until you can test your water you don't know what the levels are. From my experience with that feeder and a pool with slightly more volume you may be OK or (adding a lot) with just the pucks if they filled it with enough (a lot). I used to keep mine on about 3 when on vacation. To check - turn the pump off, give it a couple of seconds (10?) to drain the water and the top spins off. WARNING - do not inhale the fumes! Since the pucks are wet they will be giving off a rather toxic fragrance ... I've done that more times than I'd like to admit! o_O

Alright, chlorine purchased. Although at $50 for 6 gallons, I'm starting to question the claims I've seen about $200/year on pool chemicals ...
The Walmarts here sell it for 5.49/g. 10%. I’ve also been developing a list of places I’ve called that will sell bulk, or give a good discount when purchasing “several gallons”. I’m putting in an SWG because I travel too often not too, but since I’ve done the legwork, I’ll post soon.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.