Been Lurking, Going to Try, Wish Me Luck!

deb1e7eced065a844578c90d892a8164.jpg

Much improved since last week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your pool is looking great. Now that you've got your test kit, after you check the levels, post them for us please, and we'll be glad to help you adjust them if needed; When you are sure you pass OCLT. That way you can ensure your family will be swimming in properly leveled water. Whooo hooo, Go You!!!! :)

OMG you got the SpeedStir. You, Sir, are completely drunk on the TFP kool-aid! Congrats! :D

BTW, I LOVE my SpeedStir. I made room in my kit for it. I take it out every night and polish it to a bright shine. sigh....

Love the SpeedStir, made this go much faster. Spent more time on the instructions than the tests... So they had a free shipping @ $80, shipping was $15, and SpeedStir 30, so for $15, I figure, what the heck... :)

Anyway:

FC 18
CC 1.5
TC 19.5
CH 375
CYA 0

I'm not sure I believe that last one. As I filled the jar it seemed to disappear, but way past the last line.

With Tropical Storm Erika dropping water in my pool, it might be real.

You've not added any stabilizer since being here, did you add any in before or have it checked before?

It could be right. especially if it was low at start, and you've had to add a lot of water. Your FC drops will drop quickly, which it needs to come down a lot to compensate, with a 0 CYA so if it is correct that should be your 1st adjustment. Then Per Pool Math CYA calculation for your pool size. You'll want it around 40-50ppm (no higher so shot for 40ppm, and if it goes over a little you'll still be below 50ppm).

We'll see how OCLT goes tonight, and go from there but do recheck the CYA and add accordingly if correct because it will help that chlorine hold a lot.

Here is the Chlorine cya chart your Shock level for current CYA is only 12ppm so start letting it drop some to avoid any equipment damage. The dry stabilizer can take a week to show up so it should be fine to add while allowing those levels to come down. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Are you familiar with how to do the Sock method for adding CYA by placing it in front of the return? If not holler and I've got a pic I can give you of what it looks like.

You've not added any stabilizer since being here, did you add any in before or have it checked before?

It could be right. especially if it was low at start, and you've had to add a lot of water. Your FC drops will drop quickly, which it needs to come down a lot to compensate, with a 0 CYA so if it is correct that should be your 1st adjustment. Then Per Pool Math CYA calculation for your pool size. You'll want it around 40-50ppm (no higher so shot for 40ppm, and if it goes over a little you'll still be below 50ppm).

We'll see how OCLT goes tonight, and go from there but do recheck the CYA and add accordingly if correct because it will help that chlorine hold a lot.

It's storming and coming down hard, I'm not doing anything more tonight.

I threw a few pucks in the other day. I added about 1lb of stabilizer a few weeks back in the green pool thinking that it might be part of my problem.

At any rate, now that I have things under control, not really adding chlorine at the same rate, want to keep the pool blue, but there is no way to do an OCLT when the pool is getting several inches of rain. Plus side, my skimmer is well submerged now.

Sounds good ride the storm out shut off pump if lightening and get ya some rest :)

Edited for addition of content: Here is the Chlorine cya chart your Shock level for current CYA is only like 10-12 ppm, so start letting it drop some to avoid any equipment damage.

The dry stabilizer 100% cyanuric acid is what you need to get. I have a pic of the last batch I bought if unsure what to get. The dry powder form CYA can take a week to show up so it should be fine to add while allowing those levels to come down. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Are you familiar with how to do the Sock method for adding CYA by placing it in front of the return? If not holler and I've got a pic I can give you of what it looks like too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds good ride the storm out shut off pump if lightening and get ya some rest :)

Edited for addition of content: Here is the Chlorine cya chart your Shock level for current CYA is only like 10-12 ppm, so start letting it drop some to avoid any equipment damage.

The dry stabilizer 100% cyanuric acid is what you need to get. I have a pic of the last batch I bought if unsure what to get. The dry powder form CYA can take a week to show up so it should be fine to add while allowing those levels to come down. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Are you familiar with how to do the Sock method for adding CYA by placing it in front of the return? If not holler and I've got a pic I can give you of what it looks like too.

I still have some CYA from the Pool Store that I bought before. I don't have a return, I have a floor system, but I'll take a look at the pic and figure out how to wing it.

I'll let the chlorine drop, if CYA is really in the 10-15 range, if we get sunlight tomorrow, that should wipe most of it out. Or we might not. Gotta vacuum/brush, but I'm guessing that pool optimizing will be on the back burner with the storm dropped some much needed rain.

Is what you have liquid or powder? If liquid just pour it in, brush it and circulate it well with the pump/brush. If powder, the pic of the sock method is in comment #6 in this Thread. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/47551-Adding-Stabilizer .

I would go off of the 15ppm that jbizzle said you might be down to in comment #86 as your starting CYA, and then do a Target of 40ppm CYA to start. You can always add more if needed but it's a lot harder to remove it because it has to be drained out if you get too much. If you have any issues calculating how much or want to check your calculations before adding it just holler, and we'll be glad to help. Have a nice night. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, I don't know what happened to the text it did that one time last week too? Sorry if you have any problems reading that tiny stuff just let me know.

That picture made my day. I'm thinking I'm going to add what I have at home (about 2/3 of a container) -- I think it's enough to raise it 10-15 ppm according to pool math and my weight estimates, that, plus the tablets I threw in the other day should be enough to get a reading and make an intelligent decision.

Given that I've put over 16 Gallons of Chlorine in the pool in the past week, I'm not shocked that my numbers are slightly high, but they are certainly not off the charts high.

Sounds like a good plan. With the low CYA it shouldn't take the FC levels long to drop to where you want them to be. Plus you will be bringing your CYA up to meet it too so keep the level for 40ppm since you are going to add which would be FC 16ppm per chlorine/cya chart.

Again, just be certain your CYA calculations are correct before adding, because it's easier to add more, then to get it back out. If you're sure everything is in check and accurate then let er rip when you're ready. It helps to periodically squeeze the sock to help it dissolve, and I also kind of shake mine side to side, and the cloud just rolls out of it. Good Luck, and keep us posted. Have a nice night. :)

As you can see from your CC readings (1.5 in both tests you've posted), you're not quite done yet with elimination of algae, even though the pool looks much improved from your impromptu SLAM process. So, you'll want to keep your FC level high enough to continue the SLAM, using the chlorine/CYA chart to find the right level of chlorine for your CYA. Once you start adding CYA, dose with chlorine according to the target level of CYA you're aiming for. For example, if someone is currently at 20 CYA and has just put stabilizer in a sock in the pool to go up to 40, they would use a SLAM FC target as if that 40 ppm CYA were already fully dissolved.

As you can see from your CC readings (1.5 in both tests you've posted), you're not quite done yet with elimination of algae, even though the pool looks much improved from your impromptu SLAM process. So, you'll want to keep your FC level high enough to continue the SLAM, using the chlorine/CYA chart to find the right level of chlorine for your CYA. Once you start adding CYA, dose with chlorine according to the target level of CYA you're aiming for. For example, if someone is currently at 20 CYA and has just put stabilizer in a sock in the pool to go up to 40, they would use a SLAM FC target as if that 40 ppm CYA were already fully dissolved.

Yup, going to keep on keeping on. This is definitely a reasonable point to finish clearing out the bad stuff now.

TA seemed low, I wrote down the number but forgot to post, will post tonight.

This "repair the pool" hobby is thankfully coming to an end.

Don't worry about TA until you have a handle on all the other things. TA is the least important of all the parameters. When everything else is all settled and happy, you can then play the pH/TA game. What you are trying to do is find the 'sweet spot' in your pool for the TA level that keeps the pH in one spot or at least slows down how fast your pH changes over time. Keep in mind the TA may be outside the TFP recommended range but that is OKAY--everyone's pool is different.

Sounds great Alex.

It sounds like you have a very good handle on getting all the algae killed out of there.

Also, it is Fine, and often advisable, when you are unable to frequently check, to run your SLAM/SHOCK level a couple of ppm higher than the recommended number to ensure you don't drop below while at work etc. Have a wonderful day, and keep on SLAMming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.