Battle with heavy rainfall. I lost... Round one anyway.

If I am following correctly, it has only been four or five days. If so, give the filter another couple of days and it should take care of it.

Clarifier doesn't really hurt, but it doesn't usually help either. Every once in a long while clarifier "magically" clears up a pool that wasn't responding to anything else, but most of the time it has no visible effect and is simply a waste of money.

Took water to be tested at pool store. Specifically to see what CYA was at, have run out of solution to test it myself. They showed it to be at 70 after I added some last week. All other criteria were good as I have been able to test those myself.

Water is still cloudy although the color is looking better. Pumps are running 24/7.

Tested chlorine this evening at 13.5, adding another bottle of bleach to get it at new shock goal of 20 with my CYA at 70.

Should I still just be patient with the water not clearing up yet??

JasonLion said:
It has been a while, so yes it is time to try something new.

It may be time to open up the filter and clean off the cartridge.

I cleaned the cartridges just a few weeks prior to thunderstorms. Wondering if I should do something that is noted in the owners manual for the cartridge filters?

It notes as follows on Page 4 of 12, http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/CleanandClearPlusOM.pdf We have the 520 model.

"For first time operation on new pools introduce into the system .75 pounds of diatomaceous earth per every 100 square feet of filter area (a one-pound coffee can equals .5 pounds of diatomaceous earth). Mix the diatomite with water and pour it into the skimmer after the pump is primed and the system is operating. This will enhance the filtration of your water."

Wondering if this should be done after each cleaning of the cartridges??

You never want to add DE to a cartridge filter more than once over the entire life of the cartridge.

Opinions on adding DE at all vary, with several people feeling that it isn't a good idea to add any DE at all. Adding DE does just slightly improve the filtering but it also adds flow resistance.

If I am following correctly, you cleaned the cartridge before your pool got massively dirty. Since then much the dirt that was in the pool will have accumulated in the cartridge. The 520 model is a huge filter and even with the dirt it shouldn't need cleaning at this point. However, something strange is happening and it is at least possible that cleaning the filter will solve it. Trying that seems simpler than several of the alternatives.

JasonLion said:
You never want to add DE to a cartridge filter more than once over the entire life of the cartridge.

Opinions on adding DE at all vary, with several people feeling that it isn't a good idea to add any DE at all. Adding DE does just slightly improve the filtering but it also adds flow resistance.

If I am following correctly, you cleaned the cartridge before your pool got massively dirty. Since then much the dirt that was in the pool will have accumulated in the cartridge. The 520 model is a huge filter and even with the dirt it shouldn't need cleaning at this point. However, something strange is happening and it is at least possible that cleaning the filter will solve it. Trying that seems simpler than several of the alternatives.
OK, will try giving the cartridges another good cleaning this week sometime.
Thanks for staying with me on the problem. :goodjob:

Picture for where we are at now:

photo-7.jpg

Tonedeaf said:
I understand where you are now and sitting back is hard :oops: . We were there last summer. I went back and checked the records and from the time we started (muddy looking water) until the pool was clear again ( 8) ) was 8 days. On day 7 the water was OK but still hazy looking and on day 8 the water cleared up.

In that time period I had back-washed the sand filter 4 different times. Hang in there :goodjob: !
Terry in NC

fuzzy_dba said:
Tonedeaf said:
I understand where you are now and sitting back is hard :oops: . We were there last summer. I went back and checked the records and from the time we started (muddy looking water) until the pool was clear again ( 8) ) was 8 days. On day 7 the water was OK but still hazy looking and on day 8 the water cleared up.

In that time period I had back-washed the sand filter 4 different times. Hang in there :goodjob: !
Terry in NC
Thanks.

Water was good enough(although still a bit cool) for us to get in for our first swim of the season yesterday. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This weekend I am happy to say that the pool is finally back to it's normal, sparkling, crystal clear self. Pool was used everyday this past weekend with my nephews and sister in law visiting. :D

3 full weeks of 24/7 pump time. I hope to never have rain like that again. :hammer:

Also, wife was headed to pool store to look at some "toys", so, I had her take over a water sample just to get the CYA tested as I had run out of solution. Wife brings back some toys and a bottle of phosphate free or whatever they call it. She said the pool store told her the pool had 500ppm phosphates in it. I told her that was bull(from what I have learned here) and I quickly returned the bottle to the store and got my $31 + tax back. They didn't even question me after I told them that they sold it to my wife and we did not need it. :rant:

Note to self, never let wife get talked into buying pool chemicals again. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.