Base ideas for new Above Ground pool

Newerabs

Jul 22, 2015
Eaton Rapids
I am putting up a 20x48 Bestway round pool this Saturday. I have a square 20ft x 20ft area that is all leveled, compacted down and ready to go.
I've read about some people using insulation foam boards as a base. I'm looking into that, but I also found these at Harbor Freight: Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat Set, 4 Pack

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with these or something like that, and if it's even worth purchasing these for a base?

Thank you!

I am putting up a 20x48 Bestway round pool this Saturday. I have a square 20ft x 20ft area that is all leveled, compacted down and ready to go.
I've read about some people using insulation foam boards as a base. I'm looking into that, but I also found these at Harbor Freight: Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat Set, 4 Pack

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with these or something like that, and if it's even worth purchasing these for a base?

Thank you!
Seems expensive. To cover the 20x20 area, you'd need almost 100 of them. Or 25 packs.. or $250. Then with the crushing weight of the water, will those actualy provide any sort of relief other than just giving you a flat surface where you'd feel the little jigsaw lines?

Why not go with something like this instead:
Gorilla Floor Padding for 21ft Round Above Ground Swimming Pools

I don't know anything about Bestway pools, is this something that stays up all year? I believe most people with a hard sided pool use mason sand under the liner, both of my AG pools had/have mason sand. I have seen mentioned on this site about using foam boards under liners, I think it was for intex but I can't see why it wouldn't work for another pool. If you're looking for cushiony I don't know if the Harbor Freight pads will compress under the weight of the pool water. I can say that mason sand is not cushiony once all that water gets added!

Would you recommend insulation foam board? I can get a 4ft x 8ft sheet for about $8 at my local Menards. I would need 13 of them to cover a 20 x 20 square.
Several folks here have used them with success. They all mention using Gorilla brand tape instead of normal duct tape.

I'd go that route instead of the Harbor Freight things.

Reactions: VinnyinNJ
I like Gorilla brand tape, it sticks well and they have waterproof tapes as well. I have used it to repair a pool ladder and the tape stuck for a few years being underwater and surviving the winters. I find duct tape tends to delaminate after a few years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.