Base for stone pavers around pool

Miabrielle

Jan 15, 2022
Texas
Hello! We are building a deck of limestone pavers around the pool. They used tiny stones for a portion of the deck as the base. Then they ran out are now using huge rocks as the base. They are compacting, but the area over the big rocks seems to be cracking. Picture of the two sized rocks attached. Stones are set in mortar above the rocks. Does anyone know if using different sized rocks as the base makes a difference. Thank you!!

Attachments

• D52A0FC8-07BE-4146-B86F-724768CF0D84.jpeg
    D52A0FC8-07BE-4146-B86F-724768CF0D84.jpeg
    954.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 845A8B2C-FF54-4C6A-B29D-7EAA9130E336.jpeg
    845A8B2C-FF54-4C6A-B29D-7EAA9130E336.jpeg
    591.7 KB · Views: 33
I am no mason or civil engineer, but I did stay a Holiday Inn Express a few times.

I don't think the larger rock is bad choice, if it can be compacted and remain stable. It also depends on how thick of layer is being used and how stable the subsoil is. Once the mortar sets up, it locks it all together. If there is movement after that then the sub soil or stone was not compacted enough.

You do not mortar the stones to gravel.

Does the company have any experience doing this type of work?

For a mortared stone, you pour a typical concrete base and then mortar the stones to the concrete base and allow for a grout line around each stone.

For a sand set, you put a crushed stone base of about 3/4” stones compacted and then a sand base and then set the stones on the sand base with no mortar or grout lines.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.