Base for ABOVEGROUND POOL -- what to put under pool sand?

Marcisings

Jul 27, 2023
St. Petersburg, FL
Hello All! I am trying to figure out the best product to put under my Intex 16' diameter pool and getting different information. Sand, gravel, foam boards, Gorilla pads, etc. I live in Tampa and my ground is a mix of sand and dirt. I was told to use FOAMULAR 150 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-5 Scored Square Edge Rigid Foam Board Insulation Sheathing (Extruded) but the women who suggested it just found weeds grow through the foam and one punctured her liner. She's had her pool up for one month! She said she should have put a thick tarp under the foam first. I've been told foam boards slip and sand shifts. Is anyone an expert on what I should use so I don't need to deal with headaches later? This is my first above the ground pool and don't want to deal with issues in the future and will pay more money up front to protect pool! Thank you in advance!

People have used everything you mentioned, personally I would stay away from gravel. Putting a tarp on the ground before the foam boards would be beneficial, maybe even putting all vegitation killer down before putting the pool up.. Every time I've seen someone say about the boards they also tape them together so they stay together. I know Gorilla sells waterproof tape but you may be able to use duct tape. If done correctly, sand doesn't go anywhere once the weight of the pool goes on it. There's quite a few threads about Intex pools on the forum and they give great advice on how to set them up.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hey, Tampa neighbor! If your soil is like mine (sandy, not rocky, and no weird sharp weeds) you can get by with scraping down to level solid ground, and then just use a heavy duty tarp. I used a gorilla pad as well under mine, and never had anything grown through my Intex liner.

I am with Vinny. Put down as much plant killer as you can. We used the pellet type since we have lots of torpedo grass around here. When we put in our AG pool we also laid down a tarp and then placed a thick layer of sand on it. If we had to do it again, we would of placed a cushion on the sand for another layer. The sand we had under our 18K gallon pool actually settled in places causing small ripples and hills in some areas of the pool. Since I like everything perfect, I believe another layer would have mitigated much of that. Also once we had the pool installed, we kept about 3-4 feet of clearance around the pool that we continuously treated to prevent anything from growing under the pool. Placed white gravel in this clearance area for nice aesthetics.

Loved the AG pool while we had it. Lots of advantages to them as far as keeping critters and debris out. It took a lot of adjustment when I got the IG pool since I was so use to looking down on everything. When you go from floating 4.5" above everything to floating at ground level, it is quite the adjustment. LOL

People have used everything you mentioned, personally I would stay away from gravel. Putting a tarp on the ground before the foam boards would be beneficial, maybe even putting all vegitation killer down before putting the pool up.. Every time I've seen someone say about the boards they also tape them together so they stay together. I know Gorilla sells waterproof tape but you may be able to use duct tape. If done correctly, sand doesn't go anywhere once the weight of the pool goes on it. There's quite a few threads about Intex pools on the forum and they give great advice on how to set them up.
Thank you so much! Your input is very helpful. I have read several of the forums but see different advice which is causing me to question what to use!

Hey, Tampa neighbor! If your soil is like mine (sandy, not rocky, and no weird sharp weeds) you can get by with scraping down to level solid ground, and then just use a heavy duty tarp. I used a gorilla pad as well under mine, and never had anything grown through my Intex liner.
Thank you neighbor, really appreciate your input. I am in the process of digging down 2 inches then leveling, so I have a bit a time to figure out what to use. The Gorilla pad is a consideration and actually thought about a tarp underneath it. Then I will lay the liner that comes with the pool on top of both. Not sure I want to mess the taping pads!

I am with Vinny. Put down as much plant killer as you can. We used the pellet type since we have lots of torpedo grass around here. When we put in our AG pool we also laid down a tarp and then placed a thick layer of sand on it. If we had to do it again, we would of placed a cushion on the sand for another layer. The sand we had under our 18K gallon pool actually settled in places causing small ripples and hills in some areas of the pool. Since I like everything perfect, I believe another layer would have mitigated much of that. Also once we had the pool installed, we kept about 3-4 feet of clearance around the pool that we continuously treated to prevent anything from growing under the pool. Placed white gravel in this clearance area for nice aesthetics.

Loved the AG pool while we had it. Lots of advantages to them as far as keeping critters and debris out. It took a lot of adjustment when I got the IG pool since I was so use to looking down on everything. When you go from floating 4.5" above everything to floating at ground level, it is quite the adjustment. LOL
Thank you SO much! I've heard the comment about sand settling and want to prevent that from happening. You are very helpful and I appreciate it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.