Chino Hills CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Purchased new in 2014. My Barracuda G3 just stopped moving today.
Variable speed pump is generating suction 14 psi at the filter.
I disassembled and reassembled it. The diaphragm is intact, all connections tight. When reconnected. The hose is pulsing in the usual manner.
Dead in the water.
Lately, my wife's solution to anything that malfunctions is "buy a new one". Any alternative opinions out there?

So I'm a little interested in your situation here. I have a Kreepy Krawler, yes not the same yours, but same concept. And sooner or later I/we will face wear and tear cleaner issues with these units. Do we want to be a DIY'er and fix it or send it to the land fill.

My first thoughts are:

No obstructions In the cleaner assembly and motor basket. Right.
Diaphragm is new or recently replaced. Yes?
14 psi doesn't tell the entire situation, is that low, high, or normal when vacuuming?
what RPM do your run your VS when vacuuming?
if you increase rpm's what happens.

So I'm a little interested in your situation here. I have a Kreepy Krawler, yes not the same yours, but same concept. And sooner or later I/we will face wear and tear cleaner issues with these units. Do we want to be a DIY'er and fix it or send it to the land fill.

My first thoughts are:

No obstructions In the cleaner assembly and motor basket. Right.
Diaphragm is new or recently replaced. Yes?
14 psi doesn't tell the entire situation, is that low, high, or normal when vacuuming?
what RPM do your run your VS when vacuuming?
if you increase rpm's what happens.
Thanks!
1. The diaphragm is 2 years old. I’ve disassembled the KK twice and inspected the diaphragm and it is intact, unlike the last time I had this problem when it was split. Replacement solved the problem then. Do you think I should just replace it and see what happens?
2. The KK is perpetually connected so it is on vacuum for 8 hours per day. It is now motionless regardless of the pump speed 3. No obstructions from what I can determine. The hose pulsates.

Do you think I should just replace it and see what happens?
yes
The KK is perpetually connected so it is on vacuum for 8 hours per day
why 8hrs a day? Yes, I realize that every pool is different so run times of cleaners can be different. For example i run mine once a week or as needed. I also use a food workers hair net in the skimmer basket that helps a lot with catching debris .

yes

why 8hrs a day? Yes, I realize that every pool is different so run times of cleaners can be different. For example i run mine once a week or as needed. I also use a food workers hair net in the skimmer basket that helps a lot with catching debris .
That's how it's always run since I got the pool. There is a constant barrage of leafy matter being shed from the now mature City-owned trees that border the property
I replaced the diaphragm, it ran for two days and today it stopped again. Everything is secure, the unit oscillates as it should. I inverted it under suction and it is generating suction at the end.
I don't understand how it functions.
8 years old - possibly time for a new unit?

Lately, my wife's solution to anything that malfunctions is "buy a new one"
I know, I know, before we both say your right AGAIN honey..., LOL.

Do you have a vacuum tester to insure you have proper suction, it looks something that looks like this.

Attachments

• 20230128_174844.jpg
    20230128_174844.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Bcorig
The internal diaphragm is the part that usually wears out. The diaphragm acts like a spring where the suction collapses the tube a bit and then it springs back open. Over time, the diaphragm losses it’s springiness and it just collapses under the pump suction. The retaining ring can also be cracked. I would suggest replacing the diaphragm to see if that helps.

Just leave one section of hose connected to the vac port and insert the gauge and make sure to adjusted your suction valves to proper suctions levels. I like running mine closer to the minimum line. Less shaking and its very very quiet and it also allows some skimming to take place at the same time. BTW , when stetting this up , make this test vac connection without suction in place. Also after your finished testing and after removing your gauge, be sure to hold your hoses under the water and force all the air out before you vacuum again. Good luck to ya.

Reactions: Bcorig
Just leave one section of hose connected to the vac port and insert the gauge and make sure to adjusted your suction valves to proper suctions levels. I like running mine closer to the minimum line. Less shaking and its very very quiet and it also allows some skimming to take place at the same time. BTW , when stetting this up , make this test vac connection without suction in place. Also after your finished testing and after removing your gauge, be sure to hold your hoses under the water and force all the air out before you vacuum again. Good luck to ya.
Before I could do this it started working again. I'll wait until the water is warmer and test it. Thanks!!

Reactions: jsygrls

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.