Baquacil; Should I be concerned after 6 years?

pbpool

Aug 16, 2013
NEOhio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We've used Baqua CDX for the past 6 seasons and have not had any real issues except for some white water mold on the plastic steps which were replaced this spring? After reading some of these conversion stories I'm surprised that it takes weeks to get the Baqua out of the system. Looking at the costs, planning to retire LOL, over the years I am giving serious consideration to converting out of CDX, anyone's thoughts?

Baqua seems to become less effective over the years. You have to decide when to make the switch or if you even want to.

No one knows your pool like you do. If you decide, we can help with the conversion.

While I don't have any direct experience with Baquacil, the big complaints I always see are white mold, pink slime, & overall cost.

Here is a screenshot from a spreadsheet I used to track last seasons chlorine use & cost:

IMG_0277.jpg

$0.36 a day for sanitizer.

pbpool, in my case the white mold/pink slime kept getting worse and worse and more expensive to correct each time. If you decide to make the switch, it might be easier to stop using cdx now or soon, dont add any sanitizer when closing this fall, and convert when you open next year (as zea3 suggested).

Thank you to all the replies. My thought was to do as pookiesunshine suggested, at closing no sanitizer and no CDX. Again thank you for replies and if any one has any ideas or experiences keep the lines coming!

I see you're in Ohio little more south than i, how long did your conversion take and now you just use chlorine bleach correct ? I too use the glass media, did you start to use after the convert or have you used before the conversion?

pbpool, i can check later but i think most of it was done within a week. i do remember the irony of opening to a sanitizer level of 30, even after not adding any at closing. the ONE time i didn't want it to say up, it did. i converted to glass after the first week when i was not getting any more goo. yes, bleach. i occasionally use trichlor pucks when i will be gone for a few days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.