Baquacil Conversion...Help!!

If water or anything else is returning to your pool when you are on the "waste" setting, there is something wrong with your multi-port and you need to get that fixed or your pool will never clear.

Day 24 of my conversion and still no clear water! Got the filter issue taken care of a week ago today. All of the test results look good. Still dropping down to about 7.5-8 overnight on the FC. My husband got in the pool yesterday to see if he could get anything stirred up since we can't see what's on the bottom. There was absolutely nothing. The thing is clean, just not clear. Could it take a while to clear up after getting the filter working properly? I've been really patient, but I'm just nearly done with it. So close to covering it back up. I have bought over a hundred jugs of bleach. Just can't figure out what is going on here. :(

Alright, I have another question. This last week I ran out of bleach and didn't get to the store to get for about 3 or 4 days. During that period of time my pool turned a pretty, bright blue and I could actually make out the designs on the liner on the bottom of the pool. When I put the brush in, I could faintly see it on the bottom! That was a huge deal for me bc I haven't seen the bottom of the pool in idk how long. Anyway, I thought I better go get some bleach and keep at it. I put the bleach in that night and when I checked the next morning the pool was that light blue, cloudy mess it has been!! So why was my pool clearing during the few days I didn't add bleach and cloud back up after I put it in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorine is reacting with the remaining baqua residue to form the cloudiness. When you stop adding chlorine, the reaction stops and the water clears up (for a while). Unfortunately, the conversion is not complete until all of the baqua residue has reacted, which will be a little while longer.

Not to add to confusion, but I wanted to mention as reading your post made reminded me of what I was going through when I couldn't get "sparkle" in the pool but had been very diligent about my levels. I too have a sand filter, and I didn't hook mine up, it was hooked up for me (spa tubing on one of the ports from pump to filter & pool hose from skimmer bottom to pump & filter to pool return). After patience, dosing properly, etc. I posted on here pondering did I have broken laterals. The pool was not clearing. I didn't have broken laterals, the piece of spa tubing my installers hooked up, they hooked up incorrectly. Everything you described as it relates to your previous filter discussion earlier in the month reminded me of exactly what I was dealing with. I did not see where you posted pictures of your equipment pad. It might not be a bad idea just so someone in the know could verify from a visual things are hooked up correctly.

You can read my post here: broken-lateral-s-t60664.html This will allow you to see the similarities in what I dealt with and the eventual resolve, that changed everything for me. I should mention I was not doing a conversion, I never used the goo and from reading here I know it's a procedure that does take time. Yours could very well be going as it should, but on the chance you still are having a filter issue that you are unaware of (as I was) I thought I would mention this. I did read where you said your filter was good to go, but I thought mine was to and wasn't. As it would only take a few moments to verify correct connectivity ~ I thought this was worth a mention.

Good Luck to you, just keep plugging away because you will eventually have sparkle. I too work Monday-Friday leaving the house early am and returning at dinner time, but was able to get things sorted. I think there is a large majority of people with that schedule so it might take us a bit longer, but it still clears.

I had it checked out and you are absolutely right, it was hooked up incorrectly. We had that fixed a week or so ago. I have wondered if it is just taking some time to clear now that it's hooked up properly. I am finding sand in the pool though so I'm wondering if something is wrong with the laterals. We pretty much got it all vacuumed out and I noticed more in it yesterday. I did change the sand before I started my conversion...only bc I hadn't decided to convert at that point. I didn't backwash afterwards so I thought maybe that was the reason for the sand. Idk what is going on with it now. Frustrating to say the least.

If sand is returning ~ there is still an issue with the filtering. Unless like me you have sand getting into the pool from your steps. I have temporary steps until we decide upon how we are decking this thing.

Is it possible you put too much sand in the filter? I believe it calls for the majority of them being filled 2/3's full? Did you go through a rinse cycle after putting the new sand in so it seats itself properly?
Did you cover the stand pipe when putting the new sand in? If sand found its way into the pipe in the middle it can return to your pool from there, until it has emptied itself.
Your spider gasket (found in your multi port head when you remove 5 or 6 screws): did you clean it and lube it properly? Mine was all gunked up even after one short season of use. I tore it apart cleaned it carefully as to not detach it and lubed it up along with the spring in the handle to have it all in working order. If your spider gasket is loose, that too could be the problem. A spider gasket is an easy repair.

I would check the sand level making sure there isn't too much in your filter. Check and service your spider gasket/ multi port head. This you can do yourself. If both of those check out then I wonder if I had gotten sand in my standpipe. If I knew there was no way, I would think laterals and I would probably remove the sand with a shopvac and check them. Let the experts here though direct you to that as there could be other possible filter items you could check before going through that. I would hate to see you go through that if it is not necessary. If you are guided to that steps, keep your sand as it is reusable.

Once you get this filter squared away it should only be a matter of a bit more patience to finish the conversion.

I don't have my steps put in yet. I don't believe we put too much sand in the filter...we did 2/3's. I did not go through a rinse cycle after putting in the new sand. We did cover the stand pipe with duct tape while putting in the new sand. Not sure about the spider gasket...my dad did the cleaning so I'll have to ask him. Maybe we need to check that?? I don't even know how to tell if something is wrong with the laterals...what would I look for? And is there anything else I can use other than bleach. I have a 6 year old and an 8 month old...it's not very convenient for me to run to Wal-Mart every few days to buy bleach. I can only fit 12 in my cart, and it's just not easy doing that with my kids. I haven't added any bleach to the pool in a couple of days just because I run out so often and can't drop everything to get to the store. Is there anything else that would do a better job or last longer?? I'm just soooooo tired of this pool. I was very excited at the beginning of the conversion bc I thought it would clear it up. I have pretty much given up now. We are having a get-together on the 20th and I had hoped the pool would be going by then. I told my husband I think it's time to put the cover back on. :(

I just did a successful Baqua conversion this year on a 14K gal pool and it only took a week.
First I added about 10lb of calcium hypochloride (Ultima TKO brand) and watched some pretty colors and milky-ness for about 3 days before I vaccumed the pool to waste, retested, and added about 10 more lb of the cal. hypo. After 4 more days I was holding chlorine decently and decided to plumb in the Hayward chlorinator I had purchased for my conversion, as well as change the sand. I loaded the chlorinator up on tablets and turned the knob full blast. Less than a week later I had almost sparkly clear water, and now 2 months later everything is still great.
I think the key points are oxidization of the baqua-Crud out, good filtration(aka change the sand after the conversion), and a constant chlorine source.

chisch said:
I just did a successful Baqua conversion this year on a 14K gal pool and it only took a week.
First I added about 10lb of calcium hypochloride (Ultima TKO brand) and watched some pretty colors and milky-ness for about 3 days before I vaccumed the pool to waste, retested, and added about 10 more lb of the cal. hypo. After 4 more days I was holding chlorine decently and decided to plumb in the Hayward chlorinator I had purchased for my conversion, as well as change the sand. I loaded the chlorinator up on tablets and turned the knob full blast. Less than a week later I had almost sparkly clear water, and now 2 months later everything is still great.
I think the key points are oxidization of the baqua-Crud out, good filtration(aka change the sand after the conversion), and a constant chlorine source.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

I hope you realize though that relying solely on trichlor pucks as you source of chlorine is doomed to failure unless you have a very short season and drain off a lot of water when you winterize: pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

jblizzle said:
I hope you realize though that relying solely on trichlor pucks as you source of chlorine is doomed to failure unless you have a very short season and drain off a lot of water when you winterize: pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

I do realize that CYA will build up over time and cause some issues but I usually do a 50% drain when I close so I doubt I will have too much by next year. The pool is usually closed for 5 months or so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.