Baquacil cloudy pool 2 weeks

Ljsdrew1

Apr 28, 2024
missouri
I have a 16000 gallon above ground, sand filter pool. We have only used Baquacil for 6 years. Took the cover off two weeks ago, water slightly cloudy. This has been the case one or two times at opening. Added water, plan was to balance ph before adding chemicals. Everything balanced, pool cloudier, added my start up and it’s just gotten worse. My original supplier store went out of business, so I do not have any store that seems to test and understand baquacil. Ive been told my calcium was 0, alkalinity too high, and metals present. Addressed the calcium, alkalinity, pool still cloudy. No one local seems to know what to do.
Appreciate any input.

Welcome to TFP!

Your story is a familiar one. Baquacil works for a while, then becomes more and more troublesome until you can’t manage it.

Cloudiness could be mechanical from a filtration or circulation problem, or it could be biological from algae or mold growing in the pool. If your filter is good and flow is good, then you should concentrate your efforts on sanitizer and oxidizer.

Most advice is going to be to switch to chlorine. Most people who switch are very happy they did.