Baqua - Chlorine Conversion in April (Will Post Pics)

thanks Leebo, here are some test results for you...

2:20 PM, Tuesday

FC - 1
CC - 8
pH - 7.4

I backwashed the sand filter and added two large jugs of bleach, 364 oz total. Is there a certain pressure I should be backwashing at?
IMG_0529.jpg

and here's the obligatory skimmer photo with the baqua goo. Do I do anything with this stuff, or just let the bleach kill it?
IMG_0528.jpg

and now I go back out to test again...

Man...I never once did look in the skimmer during all of it. Sad I missed that site looking back. That also answers that question I think.....Just let the bleach kill it as I did. There maybe better stuff to do with it, but heck if I know what. :D

Generally backwash is recommended when the pressure rises 20-25% above your clean filter pressure. I am not sure if a different recommendation applies for these conversions, but I doubt it.

thanks blizzle and leebo.

I guess I forgot to hit calculate on the pool calculator for my last dose so it was still a bit low, but higher than the original.

The 3:00 PM Tuesday readings are:

FC - 7.5
CC - 5.0

I added a couple more jugs of bleach

I also took a picture of one of the returns in the deep end to be able to guage how clear my water is getting but as you can see it hasn't changed much. unless there are some big changes, you will probably just get some test results out of me for the next couple of posts.

IMG_0534.jpg

While I've got everyone's attention, any suggestions for types of paint if I were to paint the coping in the above picture? Maybe a marine paint or something? It is older, and VERY gold currently.

Your pH before you started the conversion was 7.2 which is a perfect level to start.

There is no need to re-test the pH during the conversion process.

Also, the pH test will read a false high when the FC is over 10.

So, the only things you need to be testing are FC & CC.

Don't worry about testing anything else for now :wink:

My wife keeps asking me why I run inside every time I test and I tell her it's because I need to talk to my new friends.

Staying on track, Tuesday 5:40 PM

FC - 14.5
CC - 2.5

I know it doesn't mean much after only an hour and only losing .5 FC, but it feels good for some reason. It just feels good.

tideman said:
My wife keeps asking me why I run inside every time I test and I tell her it's because I need to talk to my new friends.

FC - 14.5
CC - 2.5

I know it doesn't mean much after only an hour and only losing .5 FC, but it feels good for some reason. It just feels good.

Yep, we're here.... :-D ...... ::epds:: Tell DW we said "Hi"

btw, that skimmer pic earlier........ :puker:

Butterfly said:
So, the only things you need to be testing are FC & CC.

I had a hard time learning this....but towards the end it all made sense. I'll even take out some of that statement. The only thing you need to be testing for is FC at this point. We know at this point the CC is high and the water looks like poop.....so save the chemicals and just test the one for now. Towards the end then test both....but it's just for fun at this point.

ps....with that said I tested both the entire swap....and will be ordering more of the R-0003 here very soon as I'm almost out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tuesday, 7:00pm

FC - 10.5
CC - 4

Probably test again at 9PM, and then it won't be until the morning.

Leeb - I know I should probably save the chemicals, but the testing is just so much fun!

tideman said:
Tuesday, 7:00pmLeeb - I know I should probably save the chemicals, but the testing is just so much fun!

I'm just warning you...and trying to cost Dave some cash. As I said....I'm going to have to re-order all of the tests for Chlorine here this month as I've used all mine in less than a season. :D No harm in testing too much now is there??

tideman said:

FC - 14.5
CC - 2.5

I know how you feel on this one! My wife thinks I'm a bit off my rocker when I keep sitting at this computer.. chucking to myself....

Hahahaha.... click click clack click.... he he... click clack click click...... :-D

As for the testing - I'm addicted. it was the one thing that I was afraid of most - that it would make maintaining my pool a "Job" but honestly it's actually fun. The kids LOVE it - they all gather around and watch the chlorine test go from clear, to pink, to clear... to pink then clear.. then before I pour it out, i run some water in it (with chlorine so high you can smell it) and it goes bright pink!!

Your photos look great - if your baqua levels were low/nonexistent, you should see some serious progress by this weekend. Mine was a milky mess for 2 days, then got more and more blue until it was perfectly clear (just like Leebo said it would!). You're staying on top of it excellent, so brush the sides and bottom - keep on the bleach and you'll be out of the woods in no time!

Baqua is down to about 15 now...down from about 40 when we started so definite progress there.

Just checked levels, last time for the night:

FC - 15
CC - 3.5

I'll be scrubbing tomorrow - we're gonna try to return some of our baquacil stuff for credit if possible.

I'm watching your progress too radefeld, pool is looking great!

Good morning everyone!

Day 2 looks...similar to Day 1

Wednesday, 7:00

FC - 8.5
CC - 2.5

Here is what the skimmer looks like overnight, gross!
IMG_0542.jpg

Here is what the pool looked like when I woke up this morning
IMG_0541.jpg

Leebo and tideman,

I know I should probably save the chemicals, but the testing is just so much fun!
Tiny tears of joy are streaming down my cheeks!

Nice work, tideman, you are right on top of this conversion. Don't get discouraged if it takes a while at the end to get it crystal clear......some pools just act like that. Keep backwashing when you get that 25% rise and brush whatever and whenever you can. :lol:

New rule....photo's of the skimmer are now a MUST for the swap. Can we add that to the pool school instructions??

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Hi All, I'm back with some updates. Water is looking good!

10:00 AM Wednesday
FC - 14
CC -2

Here is my favorite deep end return
IMG_0546.jpg

And a picture of the stairs
IMG_0545.jpg

2:00 PM Wednesday (With testing and adding bleach in between)
FC - 11

Here are the stairs again...
IMG_0551.jpg

And another one of the deep end return
IMG_0554.jpg

You can see from this one that the water is still cloudy, but blue instead of that pea soup style I had yesterday
IMG_0552.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the support and kind words!

Hi Everyone!

The 6 PM Wednesday results are in

FC - 13.5
CC - 2

I actually was able to see the bottom of the shallow end, a milestone! I tried to grab my camera to share but the sun went away and hasn't come back so this is all you get for now.
IMG_0555.jpg

I am very encouraged by the results!

Edit - I forgot to ask - Am I at the point where it doesn't make sense to add bleach all day because of the sun eating it up...or should I continue to dose at least a few times a day? I am certainly able to if needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.