Fontana Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Just moved in and Need help understanding my valves. If I close the spa inlet my spa overflows into the pool for the waterfall but I don't want it overflowing all the time rising my ph. If I find a good balance with the pool inlet and spa inlet so the spa stays full but doesn't overflow, when the pump shuts off the spa drains into the pool causing the pool water to rise and drain out the overfill. So my water is constantly draining when pump shuts off and therefore my salt and calcium is constantly being lowered. I have a automatic fill. Should I just raise the float?

Attachments

• 20230808_184509.jpg
    20230808_184509.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230808_184525.jpg
    20230808_184525.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230808_184529.jpg
    20230808_184529.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230808_184538.jpg
    20230808_184538.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230808_194120.jpg
    20230808_194120.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 15
With the valves as they are currently set in your pictures the check valves should prevent the spa draining back to the pool when the pump shuts down. So I would guess that either one of those has failed, or the pool vs spa suction valve (what you labeled inlet) does not fully close off the spa drain.

Lacking automation I would set the valve on the line you have labeled 'spa bypass" to be open just enough to provide a trickle of water over your waterfall, this is needed to keep the SPA water mixed with the rest of the pool. With automation you could set the spa to overflow for a short period daily to accomplish the same end (and do away with the "bypass" valve entirely).

If I find a good balance with the pool inlet and spa inlet so the spa stays full but doesn't overflow
Assuming you are truly talking inlet (at he pump intake) and not what you have labled inlet on pic 2, You cannot control it here as there is no way to avoid the spa draining when the pump shuts off.
therefore my salt and calcium is constantly being lowered
Salt and calcium will only fall from water loss. The water draining into the pool from the spa will not cause loss of salt or calcium.

You have a makeup line (the one you have marked spa bypass). When operating in normal pool mode the the three way up top after the swg should have off pointed to spa. Then you can control flow to the spa with the blue handled ball valve. Short of automation, you will always have some flow over the spillway.

I'm losing water everyday when the pump shuts off, because when the spa drains into the pool (spa water drops 6 inches below tile) the water rises high enough in the pool it drains out the pool overfill drain. What I have labeled inlet is the pump intake. If I close off the spa side at the 3 way return at top will that help stop the spa from draining when pump shuts off?
If the spa will always drain into the pool when the pump shuts off (when not using spillway) what are my options? Should I try adjusting the float for automatic fill? Redo my plumbing and add automation? Or just keep the spa overflowing at all times and battle the ph?

With the valves as they are currently set in your pictures the check valves should prevent the spa draining back to the pool when the pump shuts down. So I would guess that either one of those has failed, or the pool vs spa suction valve (what you labeled inlet) does not fully close off the spa drain.

Lacking automation I would set the valve on the line you have labeled 'spa bypass" to be open just enough to provide a trickle of water over your waterfall, this is needed to keep the SPA water mixed with the rest of the pool. With automation you could set the spa to overflow for a short period daily to accomplish the same end (and do away with the "bypass" valve entirely).

The way I have the valves set in the picture is for the spa to spill over the spillway so I'm not losing water when the pump shuts off. But if I open the spa suction valve just enough for the water to just trickle over the spill way, when the pump shuts off the spa water drops 6 inches below tile and fills up the pool water high enough to drain out the pool overflow drain. Therefore causing me to lose water everyday when the pump shuts off. I'm thinking of just putting a plug in the pool overfill drain! LOL

Set the both 3-port valves so that the SPA is totally off (handle opposite the pipe to the SPA). In that state you will likely still have a significantly waterfall spilling out of the SPA when the pump is running. Now shut down the valve on the the "SPA bypass" line until you get just a trickle over the waterfall edge.

The suction control valve should always be either fully to pool (for normal operation, including the small spillover) or fully to SPA (when heating the SPA or possibly when brushing the SPA to pull the dirt out the SPA drain). If that valve is partially open then when the pump shuts down water from the SPA will flow out it's drain though that valve and out the pool suction line into the pool. If you want to modify the plumbing to prevent this the cure is to add a check valve in series with the pool suction line.

Set the both 3-port valves so that the SPA is totally off (handle opposite the pipe to the SPA). In that state you will likely still have a significantly waterfall spilling out of the SPA when the pump is running. Now shut down the valve on the the "SPA bypass" line until you get just a trickle over the waterfall edge.

The suction control valve should always be either fully to pool (for normal operation, including the small spillover) or fully to SPA (when heating the SPA or possibly when brushing the SPA to pull the dirt out the SPA drain). If that valve is partially open then when the pump shuts down water from the SPA will flow out it's drain though that valve and out the pool suction line into the pool. If you want to modify the plumbing to prevent this the cure is to add a check valve in series with the pool suction line.
Ok, that's what I was looking for! Thanks! I love this site! Any recommendations for a pool plumber around Fontana California if I decide to update equipment, add a check valve, and add automation in the future?

If you want to modify the plumbing to prevent this the cure is to add a check valve in series with the pool suction line.
are you sure? If the suction side is open to spa at all with the pump off, wont the spa drain down to pool level thru the pool return even with a check valve on pool suction?

What I have labeled inlet is the pump intake
This picture? If so it is labeled wrong as this is your return - Close this valve, off pointed towards spa return
20230808_184525.jpg
This is the suction side, looks like spa on the left, pool on the right
20230808_194120.jpg
If I close off the spa side at the 3 way return at top will that help stop the spa from draining when pump shuts off
Correct, if it does not, then most likely the existing check valve flapper (on the spa bypass just left of the blue ball valve) is bad. the flapper in it can be replaced by removing the 8 phillips #3 screws.

This picture? If so it is labeled wrong as this is your return - Close this valve, off pointed towards spa return
View attachment 520919
This is the suction side, looks like spa on the left, pool on the right
View attachment 520922

Correct, if it does not, then most likely the existing check valve flapper (on the spa bypass just left of the blue ball valve) is bad. the flapper in it can be replaced by removing the 8 phillips #3 screws.
Oops yeah the top is the return. It was a long day! LOL. Thanks I appreciate your help! I adjusted it all this morning

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cam,

It is almost impossible to balance the flow between the pool and spa.. It will either be a little too low or a little too high.

If the flow into the spa is a little too low, the spa will be sucked dry and then you will get air into your pump.

Pool and spa combinations are made so that the spa constantly overflows into the pool. :(

Without automation, the best you can do is to just let the spa trickle over into the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.