Baking soda won't disolve

Did you resolve this.
You list your calcium levels as currently 350 but a few days before it was 140 did you add the 19lb of hardness plus as detailed in the list you posted.
The white powder is more likely residue from the hardness plus that has not dissolved. Baking soda is very soluble in water but I have had calcium that has not dissolved fully maybe a little bit of impurities as it is pool grade.

aussieorchid said:
Did you resolve this.
You list your calcium levels as currently 350 but a few days before it was 140 did you add the 19lb of hardness plus as detailed in the list you posted.
The white powder is more likely residue from the hardness plus that has not dissolved. Baking soda is very soluble in water but I have had calcium that has not dissolved fully maybe a little bit of impurities as it is pool grade.

I'm still vacuuming some residue but for the most part the water is clear. This is what I vacuumed up today after not vacuuming for a couple of weeks:

soda1-26-13_zps981d74c8.jpg

I don't recall the exact steps I took when adding the chemicals but I believe the hardness was added on a different day. In any case, the problem started immediately after I added the baking soda--most of it didn't dissolve, it went straight to the bottom.

It has been a while but from memory sodium bicarbonate reacts with calcium chloride to produce a precipitate of calcium carbonate.
so something like this Aqueous sodium bicarbonate + aqueous calcium chloride a reaction that yields aqueous sodium chloride + calcium carbonate (solid) + water.

Calcium carbonate is poorly soluble in water but will dissolve in weak acid if you want to check and confirm.

I think it may have just been a case of bad luck and timing that you added bicarb and calcium a little too close together and maybe the conditions were just right for the carbonate to form.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.