Baking soda filter clog?

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hey all,

My pools TA was virtually zero.
Like a fool I added 7 lb of baking soda in one shot to quickly raise it. Then the very next day another 7 lb.

TA is now 50 so about halfway there :)

Problem is ever since I added it, pool has been running poorly. Return Jets are extremely weak . Every few hours it needs to be backwashed or at least burped. And there appears to be air in the gasket until I do.

Do you think this could have been caused by the baking soda? Or maybe because there is air in the gasket there was something else going on that I did not notice originally on the suction side?

It runs well for about 3 or 4 hours after backwashing.

Thanks a million for any help.

DE filter, 25000 gallons.

No. Baking Soda would have all dissolved long ago.

A filter that clogs that fast has the beginnings of an algae bloom. You're likely at a stalemate, where the bleach you add is just enough to kill the algae at the same rate it grows, thus ensuring a neverending supply of dead algae carcasses to clog the filter.

How about posting a full set of test results, so we can see if anything else pops out at us?

First, never add any chemical directly in to the skimmer. You add your DE that way, but that is a mineral.

Any chance getting a full set of test results? What you have occurring sounds more like nascent algae.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.