Baffling test results

pikeman

Jul 6, 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
I recently began working at getting my saltwater pool back in order. It had spent the winter with laundry bleach as the sanitizer and it remained crystal clear. Since I need to replace most of my test kit I took a water sample to Leslie's. That's always fun!
The biggest deficit was salt. I added almost 200 lbs.. I depend on my chlorine generator to give me actionable results since it measures salinity while generating the chlorine. It's a CircuPool RJ45 with a cell that was replaced last summer along with most of the electronics in the control unit. I acid-washed the cell before installing it, and all seemed well. I was initially reading 3800 to 4000ppm on the salt. My pH 7.7, TA 71 (a tad low) CH268, CYA60, FC5.9. However, the RJ45 is behaving erratically. It's reporting between 4100 and 4400. I can watch the salinity swing while the cell is generating. Even more confusing, Today Leslie's reported only 3250 ppm on salt. Their initial read three weeks ago was 2330ppm and I added just short of 200lbs of salt almost immediately, so it's had plenty of time to dissolve. This makes no sense - salt level in my experience has never, ever measured like this. This is my major concern.
But we're not done! The Leslies test also reported .3 copper. There is no copper in my system, and the city certainly isn't adding metal to the drinking water. Last year I had a very informative chat with the Director of Public Works about phosphate. They don't add that either. He was familiar with the practice of adding it to "condition" metal municipal water pipes. Bottom line, any phosphate in pools is from airborne fertilizer residue. We're bordered by miles of farmland and it blows like heck. The patio gear is always dusty, so there you are.
Any insightful suggestions are welcome. I've been successfully managing our pool for 25 years now and this is very strange.

You need to test your salinity with a proper test kit. The K1766.

The SWCG salinity is not a true reading. Never rely on it for adding salt.

But we're not done! The Leslies test also reported .3 copper.
They recently published their testing tolerances. Copper and Iron had a +/- .3 variance at .3. So 0 to .6 means squat from them sadly, with .3 being the accepted threshold where staining becomes more likely.

Anyone with .6 or higher likely has irrefutable proof that they have metals already.

Reactions: pikeman
The RJ45 salt reading uses a conductivity sensor and a temperature sensor to calculate the salt level. Either of them can fail over time. It is often the temperature sensor that goes bad and gives flaky salt readings.

The only 100% reliable salt test is the Taylor K-1766 or TFT Salt

HEDP based sequestrants will break down into phosphates in your pool water.

Reactions: pikeman
I recently began working at getting my saltwater pool back in order. It had spent the winter with laundry bleach as the sanitizer and it remained crystal clear. Since I need to replace most of my test kit I took a water sample to Leslie's. That's always fun!
The biggest deficit was salt. I added almost 200 lbs.. I depend on my chlorine generator to give me actionable results since it measures salinity while generating the chlorine. It's a CircuPool RJ45 with a cell that was replaced last summer along with most of the electronics in the control unit. I acid-washed the cell before installing it, and
Don’t acid wash the cell and don’t waste gas (or electricity if you drive an EV) going to Leslie’s.

Acid washing the cell removes some of the precious metals in the plates and reduces its life. Don’t do that unless it’s caked up with calcium.

You need to test your salinity with a proper test kit. The K1766.

The SWCG salinity is not a true reading. Never rely on it for adding salt.
Okay, let me ask a dumb question. If the SWCG control unit monitors the salt level, and with mine the sweet spot is 3500-4000, why isn’t that good enough? If I am keeping my pool water balanced, isn’t that the critical control?
Leslie’s is likely using a galvanometer in their updated system, they used to have one on the counter, and if it’s calibrated, certainly provides a reliable measure.

Don’t acid wash the cell and don’t waste gas (or electricity if you drive an EV) going to Leslie’s.

Acid washing the cell removes some of the precious metals in the plates and reduces its life. Don’t do that unless it’s caked up with calcium.
Agreed, Acid washing certainly erodes the cell. But Calcium buildup is a fact of life if you’re using municipal water. At least in my town, where we get water fro LCRA, and I have a plaster pool.
You will get no argument from me about the downside of using any pool store, in particular, Leslies! They’re morons.

Leslie’s is likely using a galvanometer in their updated system, they used to have one on the counter, and if it’s calibrated, certainly provides a reliable measure.
Conductivity tests are thrown off by other metals in the water such as Calcium and also water temp. Many have some level of copper and iron as well.

If you add too much salt, your only cure is to drain. It's best to use a chemical test to lessen your chances for mistakes. The chemical test isn't perfect either, but it's closer.

Agreed, Acid washing certainly erodes the cell. But Calcium buildup is a fact of life if you’re using municipal water. At least in my town
It is common but not a fact of life. If you manage the CSI to stay slightly negative you should never need to clean the cell. Ive had mine since 2020 and its just as clean as the day i installed it.

But Calcium buildup is a fact of life if you’re using municipal water.
No….no it’s not. Plenty of people manage their water in a way that even in high evap, high CH fill water areas calcium scaling isn’t induced. You’ve got the tools in your test kit, and apps that will help monitor your CSI - trust it and use it. Worst case scenario is a hardness buildup in the water over a long period of time due to evap/fill that would require some dilution or draining, but with a CH of 268 I’m scratching my head.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support