Bad reagent (?) and now CYA too high...

KenJ

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2008
Glenside, PA
I don't know if I had a bad reagent for the CYA test but thought I was low. Now I am over 100 and my pool is cloudy green. I found this site years ago and it has saved me $$ and I usually have a crystal clear pool. Now it is cloudy green. Is there any amount of LC/bleach that will help me short term while I drain and refill to reduce CYA?

PH=7.4
FC=11
CC=1.0
TA=80
CYA=100

Is there any amount of LC/bleach that will help me short term while I drain and refill to reduce CYA?
I suppose that answer would depend on how high over 100 your CYA is. You probably should do a diluted CYA test as outline on the Pool School - CYA page starting at step 8. Then you can look back at the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] to see if you can come close.

How did it get that high? Are you using pucks on a consistent basis?

No - I'm an idiot that thought it was low and then added too much. Pool got cloudy after opening this year and before I could fix it we went on a 2-week vacation and in my rush to get things right before we left I really overshot it. If there were Darwin awards for pool water treatment I would get it! Never should have opened the pool before vacation. I am draining now but don't have sillage bag so will drain off a foot and and add again to see where I get.

Just did the diluted CYA and slightly under 50 so close to 100 real CYA level.

Will drain and add, in the meantime FC=10 so will add another gallon of 10%.....

So with CYA=100, is it safe to take FC to 39 with a vinyl liner?
It is for now, although I would expect that number to drop slightly as you do the water exchanges. You might watch your R-0013 reagent to make sure you have enough to do a few tests as the week (and exchanges) continues.

I just got a new 8oz bottle of R-0013 so I should be good. Added 2 gallons of 10% from Walmart and got up to FC=19, CC=1. I have 2 more bottles of that on hand and 3 bottles of 6% bleach. Will add 2 more gallons of 10% and test again....

I am changing my name to Murphy! In a rush to keep things moving I didn't turn off my pump before moving my multiport from filter to waste. SNAP! I'm holding the handle in my hand. Hope to have part tomorrow and keep things moving.

NOTE TO SELF! Always turn off pump when moving handle! I am hanging my broken handle over top of my pump as a constant reminder to not take shortcuts!

New part arrived this morning (thanks to Amazon Prime and UPS) and filter back up & running.

Water lighter shade of green but still extremely cloudy.

Tested this morning:
FC=16
CC <1 (using .5 for test and almost clear at .5)
CYA=80 (down from 100)
TA=100
pH=7.4

Sent my son to Wally world and they were out of liquid chlorine last night. Will be going again this morning to check. I did at 242 oz. of 6% bleach this morning that I had on hand.

New part arrived this morning (thanks to Amazon Prime and UPS) and filter back up & running.
Alright! :goodjob: Now it sounds like it's just a matter of finding enough bleach locally to keep on-hand so you can maintain the required SLAM level. Good luck!

Walmart must have got a shipment overnight. Got 16 gallons and ready to go. Tested after the 2 jugs of clorox (121 oz, 6%) and it FC was only 17. Added 3 gallons of 10% which should get me close to 33 (need 31 according to chart with CYA=80). Pool already less green today but still really cloudy.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool already less green today but still really cloudy.....
You're on your way! Now comes the consistency part (maintaining the FC), scrubbing the surfaces, watching the filter pressure for a 25% increase to backwash, and of course ....... patience. That's often the toughest one. But in time you'll see the bleach work better & better. Don't let up until you pass all 3 SLAM Process criteria.

Update: Water is crystal clear as of this morning!

I didn't make as many updates as I should have but here's how it worked for me:

Tuesday 7/3 we return from 2 week vacation to green pool.

Pressure was high in filter and backwashing did not help. I decided I was going to change the sand and since the pump was getting louder get that checked out.

7/4 and 7/5 added bleach and kept pump running - no change.

Friday 7/6 - took pump to local shop and needed replacing. While I had that apart I replaced the sand which was at least 8 years old. Friday night I put everything back together, started the filter and things were great for 15 minutes and breaker started tripping. Eventually replaced 15 amp with 20 amp breaker and fixed the issue but I was certain there was an issue with the pump. Sunday 7/8 I finally had pump running smooth (pressure was 10) and pool really green.

Monday 7/9 - start SLAM and find that CYA was at 100. Did 2 partial drain and refills to get CYA to 80. Better but still high. At the same time tried to keep FC>31. Vacuumed to waste once and when I went to change multiport from "filter" to "waste" I didn't turn off the pump and snapped the handle. Filter down again. Ordered replacement on amazon with overnight shipping.

Tuesday 7/10 - in the morning it was definitely a lighter shade of green but still really cloudy. Filter assembly arrived at 8:40 and filter running again by 9:15. Kept vacuum at the bottom of the deep end of pool and brushed real good while making sure FC stayed higher than 31. By late afternoon the water was blue but cloudy in the shallow end and light green and cloudy in the deep end. I added enough chlorine to get it to 35 and went out for awhile. Checked pool at 10 PM and it was much clearer. Added more chlorine for overnight AND added a big cup of DE to the sand filter.

Wednesday 7/11 - set the alarm for 5:30 so I could get out and vacuum before I went to work and water was crystal clear! Pressure in the filter was about 22. Vacuumed first while DE was still in the filter and then backwashed. Great to see all the green coming out of the backwash pipe. Ran until it was clear, rinsed and back to filter with pressure back to 10.

Kids will be swimming today!

If not for this website I would have rented a bulldozer. Thanks again!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.