Bad cover install?

Tyrone Shuz

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Bowie, MD
Hello:

We had a cover replaced and the new one droops badly. It's a heavier mesh (duro-mesh maybe?) than the previous one. It's supposed to not let light in, or enough to make stuff grow. We'll find out very soon. Anyway the installer said he could tighten the buckles, but this thing is drooping close to a foot and none of the buckles are more than an inch from the liner. Is there a way to fix this?

pool cover.jpg

The drooping doesn't hurt it per se. You just don't want it dropping into the water, which is looks like it is. Sounds like they drilled the anchors too close to the pool so you don't have enough slack in them to pull it tight. Only solution for that is to redrill or shorten the straps.

The drooping doesn't hurt it per se. You just don't want it dropping into the water, which is looks like it is. Sounds like they drilled the anchors too close to the pool so you don't have enough slack in them to pull it tight. Only solution for that is to redrill or shorten the straps.

I see plenty of slack strap to adjust strap hardware & allow the cover to sit high and dry.

I see plenty of slack strap to adjust strap hardware & allow the cover to sit high and dry.

I hope you're right, but here is a picture of perhaps the buckles with the most room, one is slightly more than an inch, the other is about an inch or less. About half of the straps are about this far away, the other half much closer, many right up against the cover. With a sag of 10" or so, I don't see how an inch (at most) on each side will get that up high enough. Am I wrong?

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

I can’t put it into words but I don’t think you are seeing how the buckle adjustment can work. I too think there is plenty of room to adjust. Only reason you couldn’t is if the spring was close to/tight against the cover.

A cover that hangs into the water is not an effective safety cover. A little one could depress it and cause the water to pool over their head. It really needs to be adjusted and I think there is room to do so.

This was a replacement for a cover that was already there. I will post a pic of the springs. It just seems odd that they left it this way, granted the pool had less water in it when they put it on. So it was just a matter of measuring it out. This is the same brand (Merlin) as the previous cover but this is the heavier mesh, and perhaps that's why it's sagging.

Thanks for the help so far, I shall post pics when it's light out.

I think you are looking at the adjustment wrong. That one inch you are looking at, I believe, is the fixed end where the buckle is attached and the adjustment end would be towards the anchor.

I don't think so. When I pulled on the slack near the spring the buckle got further away and it loosened. I then went behind and moved the strap and it tightened and the buckle got closer. I could be missing something so here is a pic of the springs, or two.IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once you get it right per the above, it will be almost flat across. I also have the Merlin Smart Mesh cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.