Bacquacil to Chlorine conversion troubles

It is impossible to combine pool store "expertise" with the actual experts at TFP (Myself not included. I just like to help where I think I can.).

How expensive is the glass? I fear the pool store steered you wrong again. Converters change the media close to the end of the process because BQ can hide in the sand and mess with your ability to keep FC elevated. Sometimes you can get away with not changing the media if you do numerous and thorough deep cleans, but to ensure none of the media is contaminated, most just change out the sand at between $10 and $15/50 lb. bag.

As an aside, Test strips in general, let alone BQ strips, are inconsistent at best. I came to this realization not long before my own conversion. For instance, no matter how much pH+ I used, the strips indicated I wasn't budging over 6.8. When I got the test kit I ended up having to use a half bottle of Muriatic acid.

For oxidizer levels, the BQ test strips indicate 50ppm (dark blue), 30ppm (light blue) or 0 (white). Really? Those are the only options? I can't have 10, or 25, or 45 ppm?

momoftwins, I want to pass along to you where I think we're at on your situation. #1 is that we really need to see some numbers from your test kit when it arrives. I know that's frustrating for you because you are off work this weekend (actually for 4 days), but here's why YOUR test results are so important, and why your "true" CYA will drive the best option ahead:

- If your CYA is over 30, the amount of bleach required to compensate for the Baqua is so much that it becomes a cost issue - almost better to drain and start over. Even at a CYA of 30 it would require a significant amount of bleach because you would have to go much higher than the original FC of 15 required when someone has a CYA of zero.
- If your CYA is close to zero, or perhaps no more than 15, then we can you give you a modified SLAM FC level that may be more cost beneficial to increase FC and continue with the TFP conversion process.
- Since the pool store was the one who initially began the conversion process with you and provided directions, you could go back to them and try to hold them accountable for directions on how to proceed. One thing that we always say here is you cannot mix pool store and TFP methods.

The last thing we want to do is complicate the process, add to your already growing frustration, or see you waste money. Remember you can't even try to maintain an FC of 15 during your extended weekend because you don't have the test kit portion to test FC at 15 ppm. Of course a drain is an option, to include changing-out that media that had baqua in it, and just start over, bu that's going to be your call. If you're not in a hurry, you could wait to see your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test results first.

Attached are pictures of my pool. The water is crystal clear, even in the deep end. The pictures my show some shadows that make it appear it is not clear, but it is. It's difficult to get a good picture.

- - - Updated - - -

20160610_114636.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20160610_114626 (1).jpg

Attachments

• 20160610_114636.jpg
    20160610_114636.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 39
[The last thing we want to do is complicate the process, add to your already growing frustration, or see you waste money. Remember you can't even try to maintain an FC of 15 during your extended weekend because you don't have the test kit portion to test FC at 15 ppm. Of course a drain is an option, to include changing-out that media that had baqua in it, and just start over, bu that's going to be your call. If you're not in a hurry, you could wait to see your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test results first.[/QUOTE]

I reluctant to drain the pool. I bought the house 4 years ago, I started on Baquacil then, after some bad advice. The liner is not in good shape. My fear if I drain it will make the liner worse

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.