Backyard/pool necessities

Hmmm...didn't think about cleaning the tubing, but you ARE right... I just thought you needed to test deeper rather than shallower water... Guess I'll stick with a squeeze bottle I can wash![/QUOTE]

I use a thin 2-3ft long pvc pipe to get the water sample and never get my arm wet. I put my thumb on top of the pipe, stick it in the water and when I remove my thumb, the water comes out the top end. I put my thumb back over the top and then put it over a bottle and it fills up when I remove my thumb. Works great. :wave:

I also would recommend a hand held skimmer. I take the hand skimmer off the long pole and walk around the pool skimming, it is relaxing for me, instead of standing on the deck or grass skimming with the long pole. :snorkle:

Reactions: Fletch aka
Hmmm...didn't think about cleaning the tubing, but you ARE right... I just thought you needed to test deeper rather than shallower water... Guess I'll stick with a squeeze bottle I can wash!

I use a thin 2-3ft long pvc pipe to get the water sample and never get my arm wet. I put my thumb on top of the pipe, stick it in the water and when I remove my thumb, the water comes out the top end. I put my thumb back over the top and then put it over a bottle and it fills up when I remove my thumb. Works great. :wave:

I also would recommend a hand held skimmer. I take the hand skimmer off the long pole and walk around the pool skimming, it is relaxing for me, instead of standing on the deck or grass skimming with the long pole. :snorkle:[/QUOTE]

Dang, mariane beat me to it. Yep, cheap piece of PVC works great for water sampling. Like a huge straw!

Yes a container of some sort. The one that holds the goods ~ lotions, potions, lens cases I do keep out of the sunlight and as cool as possible (solid color is preferred for me) ~ just to get the most duration out of lotions and potions. We go through the stuff like crazy so it doesn't really get the chance to age on us. For contact wearers, if they rub their eyes they can lose their lens ~ so I always ask if they want a case prior to jumping in. If they are on their last set or have places to go after and can't see to drive it sucks. That came about for us because it has happened more times than a person would think it could. Little ones who don't have a backup set of glasses have to put theirs in a case before jumping in. If they cannot see well enough to enjoy swimming theirs get strapped on.

Have learned too ~ I just set a phone alarm for 90 minutes when the young kids are in in, if it buzzes and there is still action everyone out to dry off, potty, lotion back up & hydrate in the shade while the next application of sunblock sets. Nothing worse than a dehydrated lobster at the end of a fun day ~ it's a heart breaker.

Something helpful if you have little ones learning pool etiquette . I let the kids know if they potty in the pool a purple cloud appears. If we see purple that means everyone out. When I was in the 6th grade I swam at a friend's house and that's how her Mom taught her Granddaughter (Erin's Niece)to learn the importance of getting out of the pool to use the potty.

Figured I would share some of the non necessity stuff just because when it comes to the glasses and contacts it's nice to avoid problems by a routine from the start. And the other stuff has just helped us, might not be to everyone's taste/liking but it keeps the little ones from getting burnt, dehydrated and overtired.

Edit to add: The little items... I toss them in the bucket with a bit of liquid chlorine and soak them. I have a scrubby brush if necessary, but I have found if I squeeze them and joggle them in the water and then set them in the sun to dry I don't have problems. The super soakers and water guns I fill with that same cleaning potion and spray them ~ I let them air dry as well. Haven't had any problems, it's been enough for us just doing.

These are SERIOUS fantastic tips! I was telling Hubby about them today. Definitely doing these! Love the timer and purple dye ideas!! And thank you for clarifying my questions regarding soaking and types of containers. So helpful! Thank you! Thank you!

If you have kids over: swim masks and fins. They love it. Adults: swim goggles.

What about a mini table that sits in the pool by the tanning ledge or clips on the side? That might be fun. :cool: swimming pool tables and bars - Bing images

For furniture: consider a type of mesh chair for wet swimmers. An outdoor cushioned chair, although water resistant, still retains water from a wet bathing suit, which then transfers that water to a dry pair of pants/shorts (ask me how I know). LOL
We went to the Home and Garden Show looking for patio furniture. One manufacturer was so proud of their water resistant fabric that she said wiped dry. She poured a little water on the cushion and wiped it. "See, its dry". After asking permission, I dumped an entire cup of water on the cushion and then leaned on it with my hands. The water soaked right in. Needless to say, we did not buy that for our pool deck. Our chairs get very wet from wet bathing suits. :swim:

Oh good idea on mask, fins, and goggles!! My list is growing! Lol! The table is a pretty cool idea!! Thank you!

Great thought on the mesh chairs! So far we have loungers that are the wicker resin without cushions and the plastic Adirondack chairs. I'm going to try to keep wet people off my patio set with the cushions-especially if I get the new cushions I have been looking at.

Love all of these ideas!

I have a large storage container for my party supplies like paper plates, cups, plastic ware, table cloths, decorations, holders to keep the table cloths from flying around, holders for the paper plates, etc. I put the silverware in rectangular rubbermaid storage containers... close it up and store away.

Folding tables for large parties.

Margaritaville frozen concoction maker. Small bleached cooler to store ice for frozen concoction maker. Mixer for frozen concoction in the hopes the guests will run the machine as I often get stuck making drinks all day.

Tunes! I control my tunes and volume using my phone. I also have some manual volume switches on the wall so volume can be adjusted easily.

I have a stock of assorted party paraphernalia accumulated over the years that I keep in a storage chest, although I never remember to check it before I head to the store and always end up buying things I already have, so my surplus continues to grow rather than be used, lol!
We have a BUNCH.of the Lifetime folding tables in 4', 6', and 8' sizes along with folding chairs, but if we didn't that would definitely be a great idea!

I'm going to have to look up the frozen drink/concoction maker! We don't own anything like that!!

Do you wifi or Bluetooth your tunes to outdoor wireless speakers? Or how do you do your music set up? This is something I haven't begun to work out yet but need to...

- - - Updated - - -

You will be all set for some amazing pool parties!
Don't you just love TFP?!!

YES!!! :lovetfp::lovetfp::lovetfp:

Duly noted!!! Thanks, Dave!

- - - Updated - - -

We bought the same chaise loungers from SAMS that you did. We also bought this from SAMS as well. Same manufacturer as the chairs, so they match perfect. 2 birds one stone. Cooler space is much bigger than you'd think.

Stock photo...not my pool

That's cool! Thank you! I'll check it out!!

I also would recommend a hand held skimmer. I take the hand skimmer off the long pole and walk around the pool skimming, it is relaxing for me, instead of standing on the deck or grass skimming with the long pole. :snorkle:

Dang, mariane beat me to it. Yep, cheap piece of PVC works great for water sampling. Like a huge straw![/QUOTE]

Hmmm...didn't think about cleaning the tubing, but you ARE right... I just thought you needed to test deeper rather than shallower water... Guess I'll stick with a squeeze bottle I can wash!

I also would recommend a hand held skimmer. I take the hand skimmer off the long pole and walk around the pool skimming, it is relaxing for me, instead of standing on the deck or grass skimming with the long pole. :snorkle:[/QUOTE]

Got it! Cool! PVC is cheap! And the hand held skimmer sounds like a winner :)

Thank you for chiming in! I'm sure this thread will be helpful to other pool noobs besides myself ;)

tim5055 said:
I don't see coolers or ice buckets to keep the drinks cold.
Along these lines, I purchased a small (5 cu ft) chest freezer a few years ago that is exclusively used for bagged ice and (when we are having pool parties) ice cream treats. I have found this to be extremely convenient. In the past, a pool party or any entertaining event always required a last-minute ice run. Now I can purchase ice along with other items needed to host an event at the same time and I have somewhere to put all that ice where it will be kept frozen. These chest freezers are fairly inexpensive. It has made things so much more convenient that I wondered how I ever did without it. I keep ours under the covered part of the patio so guests do not have to traipse through the house to get additional ice or an ice cream treat for the kids.

Along these lines, I purchased a small (5 cu ft) chest freezer a few years ago that is exclusively used for bagged ice and (when we are having pool parties) ice cream treats. I have found this to be extremely convenient. In the past, a pool party or any entertaining event always required a last-minute ice run. Now I can purchase ice along with other items needed to host an event at the same time and I have somewhere to put all that ice where it will be kept frozen. These chest freezers are fairly inexpensive. It has made things so much more convenient that I wondered how I ever did without it. I keep ours under the covered part of the patio so guests do not have to traipse through the house to get additional ice or an ice cream treat for the kids.

We did the same thing and yes it just makes life so much easier. I didn't want to go with an outdoor kitchen bar/tv area. I wanted nothing but music, laughter, fun & games ~ outdoor activities, outside. I know sure enough if we built and outdoor area it would only be a matter of time until TV, game systems ~ indoor activities gravitated outside. No slight at all to people who go that route, but we are dedicated couch & gaming potatoes, we get more of that type of activity than a person should through our PA winters. Like you, I don't know how we managed without one. I am eventually going to get it decorated so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. I keep my homemade ice jugs in there, the big bags of ice we buy, cool treats and I'll also toss the cobbed corn and fruit in there to chill a bit while I am prepping for parties. I run it year round, and it's used year round.

Something I am totally envious of, my brother build his picnic table with an ice chest that run through the center. If it's covered you don't know the area is there, it looks like a normal table that is totally functioning for card play, board games, kids, etc. Pop that lid off, load in the ice, and it keeps your cold stuff cold. When I move the tables I have up to the bonfire area, the next tables I have, he will build like he built his.

Those chest freezers are priced right and at the end of the season they practically give them away.

And too there is no shame in picking up things as you go. Everyone does things a little different and a couple outdoor seasons really sets the tone for the things you will buy because you have learned they will be useful for the type of partying you do. After the 4th of July, I know in our area, Target and the like really start discounting outdoor "stuff" Last year I picked up mesh food domes, and non lidded beverage chests for a couple bucks each, I haven't used the domes yet, so we'll see how we like them. The no lid beverage chests (I have 3 right now) one for fruit, one for condiments, and one for whatever cold salads I have made for the event; they keep that stuff cold. I don't care for the ice bowls (the ones you freeze and put the food in) I don't think they stay cold long enough. So metal bowls, sunk in ice work for us, they have a drain plug like a cooler so you food doesn't swim. When the stuff that we use starts getting marked down, I take advantage of those sales.

We have talked about pool BBall a bunch of times it's something I would like to have as well.
I am on-call 24/7 ~ 365 and have been for 18 years so I have what I call "the bullet" it's a jbl bluetooth speaker I sync my phone to it so when I am enjoying my time outside, but have to be mindful of work activity I can hear the phone. It runs separate to the music, if it's just me out here puttering around I will run my iTunes through it as well. But if you are enjoying a bit of Floyd and the you get a text or a call ~ right in the middle of the greatness the phone activity will stop the bliss (always seems to ring at the worst time!) It's also handy for when I kindle on a float in the pool, my ears are going and before I had that thing I always thought I may have heard the phone and had to check, now I know :)

This is a really good thread. Lots of neat ideas, thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for chiming in! I'm sure this thread will be helpful to other pool noobs besides myself ;)[/QUOTE]

And for those of us that have been at it for a while.
I love to keep lists and I am using this thread to make one up now. Thanks Nursenini for starting it. :goodjob: And for all those adding to it and the fun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.