Back Flow Valve

Buckalou2

Mar 2, 2024
Texas
Help!
Inground pool with attached spa, water level dropping when system off.
We (meaning my husband) recently attempted to replace a back flow valve, but we could not stop the water flow to dry and glue. Now it has a small leak, and we plan to fix it again, but I am wondering how without running into the same problem.
Then I realize there is a second back flow valve in the ground that probably is open and with the current valve system he did not have an option to close the drains to dry.
Is it standard to have two check valves?
What are my options with the automation valve? Can it be changed to stop the back flow of water?

The automated valve was unable to turn off to the leak.
Spa by-pass valve off

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• g7hh0n9p.png
    g7hh0n9p.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • dnh5utct.png
    dnh5utct.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • p4b4qryl.png
    p4b4qryl.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Stick plugs in the returns.

Do you use that tablet chlorinator?

The acid in the tablets ruined the check valve and is probably damaging your expensive heater.

If you move these two diverter handles to where the red arrows are it should stop all water flow from the returns.

If it does not it means the diverter was also damaged by the tablet acid.

dnh5utct.png

Help!
Inground pool with attached spa, water level dropping when system off.
We (meaning my husband) recently attempted to replace a back flow valve, but we could not stop the water flow to dry and glue. Now it has a small leak, and we plan to fix it again, but I am wondering how without running into the same problem.
Then I realize there is a second back flow valve in the ground that probably is open and with the current valve system he did not have an option to close the drains to dry.
Is it standard to have two check valves?
What are my options with the automation valve? Can it be changed to stop the back flow of water?

The automated valve was unable to turn off to the leak.
Spa by-pass valve off

Thanks for your help
Check valve after the heater and in front of that tab feeder (which should be removed) is supposed to prevent heater damage (it won't). Check valve on the ground is suppose to stop a raised spa from draining. Very strange plumbing arrangement.
To replace the check valve (get a rebuildable one like a Jandy) drain the spa into the pool. There may be a way to do that with the automation, or manually change the suction valve to spa, leave the return valve as is, close the manual valve that is after the tablet feeder.

If you move these two diverter handles to where the red arrows are it should stop all water flow from the returns.

View attachment 569902

The one on the left I can close with handle to the left and off to the R. The auto handle doesn't rotate out that way, unless there is some way I am not aware of. I know about the toggle switch, is there a trick to it?

Check valve after the heater and in front of that tab feeder (which should be removed) is supposed to prevent heater damage (it won't). Check valve on the ground is suppose to stop a raised spa from draining. Very strange plumbing arrangement.
To replace the check valve (get a rebuildable one like a Jandy) drain the spa into the pool. There may be a way to do that with the automation, or manually change the suction valve to spa, leave the return valve as is, close the manual valve that is after the tablet feeder.

The one on the left I can close with handle to the left and off to the R. The auto handle doesn't rotate out that way, unless there is some way I am not aware of. I know about the toggle switch, is there a trick to it?
Trick is to remove the screw that hold the handle on. Then lift off the handle. Remove the four screws that hold the actuator to the valve. Lift off the actuator and place it to the side. Put the handle on the diverter stem.

Now you can turn the diverter valve manually.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To replace the check valve (get a rebuildable one like a Jandy) drain the spa into the pool. There may be a way to do that with the automation, or manually change the suction valve to spa, leave the return va

View attachment 569902

l've as is, close the manual valve that is after the tablet feeder.

Thank you, this makes sense now. I was considering removing the chlorinator and can remove the check valve closest to it. Is there a reason the spa check valve is at ground level? and can you post a link to the to the Jandy valve you recommend? Considering installation what do you think about leaving the check valve in the ground and putting one behind it, instead of digging that out?

You can try shaping potatoes to use as plugs.

Thank you, this makes sense now. I was considering removing the chlorinator and can remove the check valve closest to it. Is there a reason the spa check valve is at ground level? and can you post a link to the to the Jandy valve you recommend? Considering installation what do you think about leaving the check valve in the ground and putting one behind it, instead of digging that out?
Google "Jandy Check valve."