Automation/timer for Heat Pump and VS pump or not needed?

drsp10

Aug 10, 2023
northern Ohio
I've been searching and can't find an answer that seems to work for what I'm thinking. I know this is "simple", but I haven't seen a post (or not searching correctly) for what I'm looking for.

I have Raypack Heat Pump and currently 2 speed 1.5hp pump. I will be changing over to a IntelliFlo VS pump, because I like the cost savings on energy use and the programing functions of the speeds. My flow meter reads about 40gpm on hihgh and I use .8kwh pulling around 9amps. I am trying to go more energy efficient where I can. I run it 24/7 on high speed. My heater will run on low speed, but I don't know that speed because my meter doesn't go that low.

How do I control the heater with the VS pump? I only want the heater running on "high" speed. I've seen about controlling it with some wiring from heater to VS pump, but I can't seem straight info that I need. I also, don't want the heater running from the hours of 9pm-8am. How do I control both? I have looked into automation, and yes it's very expensive, but I do like the features (Waterway Oasis). I won't be changing over to the new pump until next spring, but If I could control when the heater runs now, that would be cool.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I might be wrong, but I don't know of any heaters that can communicate with a VS pump and perform the functions that you desire. I think you'll need an automation controller to do so. There are many options out there, and as you mentioned, and most are expensive. Take a look at the Pentair IntelliConnect. It will do what you want and more for under $500.

Sonoff makes a WiFi switch that will provide smart device control of a heater via app but will not be able to control your pump. You would need to sync the Sonoff switch with the pump. HERE is a link to the device. A temperature probe would be required as well.

Last edited:
D,

Your heater is not able to directly control your pump, and your pump can't directly control your heater.

I suspect it would be possible for you to kluge something together that would allow you to do what you want, but it would not be an off the shelf option.

You might be able to just use a couple of mechanical or electronic timers.

What kind of VS pump do you plan on using?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.