Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hi All,

After a lot of searching here and Google, I’m looking for recommendations on upgrading automation. All my remotes are dead, SWG is dying. Also, pool will be resurfaced within the next 2 years, maybe with some small changes to waterfalls and spillover.

What I have currently,
  • Rectangle pool with elevated spa with spillover
  • 15yr old Hayward Aqualogic AQL-PS-8
  • 8.5yr old T-Cell-15
  • 10yr old Intelliflo (connected as single speed)
  • 11yr old Pentair 1.5hp WF-26 Single Speed (waterfalls, rarely used)
  • 4.5yr old MaxETherm400
  • 9.5yr old Pentair booster LA01N with Polaris
  • 4yr old 2hp blower
  • Original spa light and pool light (1 ea)
What I want,
  • iOS & Android control, Alexa is a plus
  • Separate spa, pool, spillover schedules
  • Power savings (true VSP operation)
  • Maybe a dedicated spa remote (but phone would be fine)
  • One day maybe pH monitoring
  • One day maybe landscape lighting
  • One day maybe upgraded/color changing lights
I seem to have narrowed it down to either the OmniPL Upgrade Kit (equip $2400) with a new T-Cell, or switch to Pentair IntelliCenter with Intellichor (equip $3500 for 8relay). Pentair would work directly with my existing pump and heater, and I’ve read that Pentair pumps are better than Hayward. Hayward saves about $1k and I’ve read good things about the Omni UI. I would DIY the install as an engineer and former electrician. When the booster or Polaris dies, I may look at switching to robot. I don’t plan to replace pumps until they die. I do plan to replumb to reduce chaos and add unions and maybe heater bypass.

What would be the recommendation here? Anything I am missing?

I am a very biased Pentair kind of guy, so I would go with the IntelliCenter with built in SWCG system...

If you do not have it installed by a "professional" all the major brands only give you a 60 day warranty... I do not see this as an issue, as it will either work or not work when you install it...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Whichever road you choose stick with a 40k rated cell & hopefully it will live another 8 years for you. Btw, Your little sig says you have a t-5 cell.
As Jim said, when shopping read & confirm all the warranties for each piece of equipment as they pertain to diy installations.
Hayward & pentair are both good products. There’s really no wrong answer.

I will tell you that Pentair is more forthcoming to consumers about product information and assistance then Hayward is. And Pentair manuals are better written then Hayward manuals.

As an engineer and former electrician, if you can understand Hayward LED lighting products, the difference between ColorLogic Lights, UCL lights, and Universal ColorLogic lights, and how their light networking works then you will be happy with the Hayward ecosystem.

Thanks for all the input. The Pentair is tempting, but so is saving $1k and better warranty. It does seem like the newer Tristar VS are much improved, which helps Hayward.
If it were to stay with Hayward, what would be the best way to use the Intelliflo until it dies? I’m thinking I could program a low-speed program on the pump timed to match the automation filter. Then have a second manual program at a higher speed for heating, mixing chemicals, etc. Would that work?

The Pump Converter accessory board (HLPMPCONV) gives the ability to control Pentair Intelliflo VS pumps on Hayward Omni systems. Based on the picture of the HLPMPCONV board it looks like it connects to the Omni RS-485 bus and the IntelliFlo RS-485 data port.

Hayward HLPMPCONV Pump Converter accessory board.png

This Hayward Technical Update provides additional information on setting up the Omni Pump Converter board

Reactions: wgmamc11
Hi Jim, I misread the Hayward website, and didn’t realize the Open warranty only applied to salt cells. Nevermind on that point.

Ajw, thanks for that link. That looks like just what I need to make this all work well with less cost.

Had to add what I do know. Harrington Plastics is part of Harrington. Harrington also makes pumps. Yes, for the home pool.
But... Harrington also has a commercial pump side. The two sides are separate in the same building. The commercial side builds pumps for the water parks and aquariums
Those pump 24/7/365 for years. Maybe check this out for yourselves. Reliability is the payoff

Just in case someone pushes Jandy (RS AquaLink) on you, I - who inherited Jandy with my house - would go with Pentair instead. Jandy costs about the same, but the tech is more like early 00's (e.g no over-the-air updates, clumsy app UI, limited Pentair integration), SWG options are more limited, and the support, especially for DIY, is not there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support