Automation and design help please

tenderfoot

Bronze Supporter
Aug 10, 2017
North/TX
Hi,

I am a complete newbie, never owned a pool in my life, but excited to be getting one. I have absolutely no clue as to what it takes to keep up the chemical balances nor how the automation or the plumbing works. So your help, experience and wisdom is greatly appreciated!

New build in North Dallas, salt water pool only, no spa, and consequently no heater. The pool is 31x16 with an additional tanning ledge section.

The rebar is all in and so is most of the currently planned plumbing (your answers to my questions below could change that!) and the electrical is in. The gunite is scheduled to go in tomorrow (Saturday). But I can delay it if need be.

Ok, so I am uncertain and nervous about several things, and so I am trying to be as forward looking as possible.

For example, will the pool be too hot in the summer months? To keep my options open, I am having the builder plumb a "cold" return line in the bottom of the deep end, this way I can have the option of adding a glacier pool cooler in future. The builder has already done this for me. But... I have just learned about "aerators" for the purposes of cooling the pool. It seems people retrofit these into the pool returns/jet and have good results. So I may also want to do this as it seems cheaper than installing the cooler. So, my questions for this item are: Should I have the builder also plumb a dedicated line for an aerator? This line could be connected to the normal jets and manually closed/opened via a valve as described here: Build Your Own Pool | How I Built My Own Swimming Pool | How To Build Your Own Swimming Pool

But that's just the plumbing for the aerator. What would I need to have at the pool though? Would I just need to screw in one of these things ( http://goo.gl/EBqVcn ) whenever I want to run the aerator? If those would do the job, do I even need to add in the additional plumbing (there already 5 returns)? Is there a better option than that product? Preferably something permanent? I would not want to leave those plugged in there while the pool is in use since those seem to stick out quite a bit.

The builder is also installing a separate pump for the three 3-foot water descents, and I think this pump will also feed the bubbler in the tanning ledge. Questions for this are: Should the water features pump have its own plumbing & own drain for suction from the pool? Or should this additional pump just feed off the same plumbing were the main pool draws water from (the main drain)?

In terms of equipment and automation, the current plan is to have the following:

• Jandy iAqualink with Android/Iphone interface. (I don't know the model, but I will push for the Jandy RS-P16 and whatever else is needed to get it on my home's IP network).
  • Jandy 2.0 HP Variable Speed Pump
  • Jandy DEV 60 Filter
  • Polaris 280 Pressure-side cleaner
  • Jandy never lube valves
  • Bubbler with integrated LED light
  • One Pool LED light

I had originally thought I would go with a regular chlorine based pool, but I have changed my mind and I am going to go with Salt Water instead. So, I researched a little bit about the salt water cells, and I liked what I read about the Hayward AquaRite 900.

So questions in terms of equipment:

- I assume that the Salt Water Cell needs to be activated in synch with the main pump. Is that right?
- Can the Jandy RS-P16 interface with the AquaRite 900 to achieve this synchronization? If not, am I then limited to use the Jandy AquaPure Salt Water cell?
That would be a real bummer since it looks like its way more expensive upfront and also to replace. What other choice(s) do I have if I can't interface the two brands?
- I assume that in order to automate the water features and all the other stuff, I would need to also add 3 actuators, as follows: the first one between skimmer and main drain, the second between the bubbler and the sheer descents, and the third between the pool cleaner and the 5 return jets. Do you agree?
- I am thinking of using the Jandy JVA 2444. I assume the Jandy RS-P16 would be the one controlling the actuators, correct? If so, I guess those would be triggered when I use my android/iphone to activate the bubbler, for example?
- Is the RS-P16 supposed to also control the "water features pump" whenever I turn a feature on from the phone? It seems logical that it would have to, but just want to verify with you experts... :)
- I have attached a highlevel drawing/schematic of the plumbing and electrical as I see it. I would love it if you could provide feedback on what I have drawn wrong on there. Ooops... found a mistake on the first attachment (red line going to chiller)... Corrected that in new attachment.

Ok, that's it for now. Thank you!!!

Attachments

• pooldrawing.jpg
    pooldrawing.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 67
Can't be of much help re: the plumbing and intricacies of such. I just left that to our PB. I'm sure someone with expertise will chime in.

I can say however that our pool is roughly the size of yours (16x33' 14.7K gallons), we do get some partial shade during the day, and we have never had a problem with it being too hot in the dead of summer. Highest I've ever seen it is 92* and that was maybe one time. Most of the time on the hottest days, it stays around 89-90*. For me 88* is ideal if that helps.

I also have roughly the same equipment as you, except not saltwater, and have been happy with the performance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.