Automating sand filter backwash function, is it possible?

Jun 18, 2018
Duluth/GA
I have a Sta-Rite 2 cartridge filter and am considering making the switch too. I am assuming the 2.5 HP Hayward pump will be fine and I only need to change the filter. I clean it monthly so reading this thread back flushing may be frequent Is there an automated backwash solution based on pump discharge pressure or even time? I have Jandy controls and automated valves for spa and pool mode so it seems reasonable to think adding more of the valves that switch the pump suction and discharge routes would be able to implement a backwash. Anyone done this?

I backwash 2 or 3 times a year, so I wouldn’t worry. What I’d worry about is having a 2.5HP pump. Going to need an enormous filter.

What are you switching to Sand or DE? Apparently something go left out of you OP. Maybe it got moved from another thread.

Not that it matters, at the present time the way multiport valves work, there's no cheap or easy way to automate them. You could theoretically add enough valves in a manifold configuration to achieve what you need, but you'd have to use a PLC or something like an Arduino to program them in the proper sequence.

Delta makes automated several backwash linkages, you will spend quite a few bucks but only you can decide what is expensive.

Starite system cartridge filters are excellent products. Is yours undersized?

Presuming this is a residential pool your 2.5 hp pump is too large, for system3 residents filters - at first review.

John,

If you have to clean your cartridge filter once a month, then something is wrong... Either your filter is way, way too small or you have something in your water clogging the filter..

I only clean my cartridge filter twice a year. Even when I do, there is no visible difference in the filter pressure. I suspect that I could go for two or three years between cleanings if I waited for my filter pressure to increase by 5 psi.

How big (sq footage) is your current filter?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for all the feedback.
I am planning a switch to a sand filter.
I am travelling and do not have access to the Sta-Rite filter sizing data at the moment. I will post it is a two cartridge system a smaller diameter inside a larger diameter cartridge
As far as pump being to large, the pump is a Hayward SP4000ZL pump It has a 2 speed A.O. Smith motor from the motor plate A.O. Smith SP 620-Z-2-MC Part 7 - 184874.01 Serial CA02.24 2 speed motor 2.5 HP
I do have many trees in the yard around the pool and north Georgia does get a lot of pollen.
I wash my filters as directed on this site but do not soak them. Perhaps this would extend period between washing.
thanks again,

John,

Our filters are about the same size, so I don't understand why you would need to clean your filter once a month... :scratch:

What is your filter pressure when clean and running at low speed. I "assume" you are running at low speed most of the time???

At what speed and pressure are you cleaning your filter?

What are your latest test results as follows?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim R. sorry for the delay, travelling a bit lately appreciate the advice.

my pool generally runs at high speed
after cleaning my filter pressure is around 7 psi and I usually clean at 20 as the flow of the waterfall from the spa to the pool is diminished

What are your latest test results as follows?

FC between 3 and 5ppm
CC near 0
pH 7.2, tends to drift down and requires pH up adjustment
TA 90
CH no recent measure
CYA no recent measure

Once we are past risk of freeze I am going to do the cartrige soak for 24 hours as a part of the cleaning process as my cartridges have only been hosed off with garden hose pressure nozzle for past 3 years. I do not know the previous owners technique.

Thanks,

John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should be cleaning your filter when the pressure rises by 25% over clean pressure.

If you are plugging that quickly, I would suspect an algae outbreak. Without a reading for CYA you do not know what level you need your FC.

Thank you Marty

As the water is crystal clear and I maintain chlorine levels over 3ppm continuously I will be surprised if algae is the culprit but your point is taken and if it turns out I have a CYA over 40 I will increase minimum chlorine level and monitor.

I will measure CYA and report.

Note: I do not monitor CYA actively as I have not added any stabilizer to the pool since I have owned it (3 years) The pool is relatively low use and chlorine demand and maintenance outside of the cartridge cleaning and leaf removal (heavily wooded lot) is very manageable.

to your point on cleaning my filters after a 25% increase, If I cleaned my filters after a 25% increase in pressure It would be more often than monthly. I can see that I have an abnormal situation I am suspecting that over the life of the cartridges I am no longer getting them effectively cleaned with the garden hose pressure wash alone. But I will consider the CYA impact as you point out

Hi Allen, I test my chlorine levels 3 times a week and adjust the amount of tablets to keep chlorine between 5 and 7 it never gets below 3 I have had very good water clarity my only issue is that I have to clean my cartridge filters more often than I would expect.

when I say tablets I mean 3" diameter chlorine pucks. keeping (2 - 4 ) 3 inch tablets in my skimmer basket was keeping my chlorine levels in my target range. I decided to go to go with a salt water generator and there have been no tablets since the 1st of Feb just the XT.

Unless you drained large amounts of water out of your pool routinely while using the Trichlor pucks, I suspect your CYA is way higher than you show above.

You need a proper test kit to manage your pool water chemistry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.