Automatic Chlorine Dispensers

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I am toying with the idea of trying to roll one of these. I have a bit of experience with Arduino and Raspberry Pi. However, I need some suggestions on how to measure the amount of chlorine I am dispensing. One technique would be to use a small pump that has a flow rate I can measure, and simply tell it to operate for some number of seconds or minutes. I am wondering if anyone else has done this, and/or can suggest other ways to measure the amount of liquid being dispensed.

Remember, that pump is outside, pumping product that is not real friendly. And you want it to be reliable.
It is actually more expensive than installing a real SWCG.

I've been running this pump for chlorine for over 2 years now with no problems. Amazon.com
I figured out how long it takes to pump 1 oz of chlorine and have a program that pumps 1 oz at a time however many times I need to get the dose I need. I split up the dose and put some in every hour but you could do it all at once.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A little peristaltic pump like the amazon link should be fine, the stenner is a bigger, AC version of that type of pump built to live outside.
This type of pump uses little rollers to move the liquid, so the pump itself is not exposed to Cl, just the tubing in the pump assembly is exposed.

Word of caution if you do this. Chlorine will cause deposits and gum things up over time, so you do need to disassemble and clean periodically, maybe once a year?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.