Automatic air venting for Pentair filter

stormook

Mar 22, 2021
Ramona, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I could only find a very old thread when I was looking for a way to automatically vent the air from my filter. So based on some information there I made one. The most expensive part was the brass vent itself (less than $11.00), the rest is a 1/2 inch threaded pvc T, two threaded st. ells, two 1/2x1/4 inch bushings, one 1/2x1/8 inch galvanized bushing (they did not have a pvc bushing in that size) and a 1/4 inch brass nipple. The only problem was that the brass air vent leaked slightly from the top rim and I am being sent a replacement. After I restarted the pump and bled the majority of air out with the Pentair valve I loosened the cap on the brass air vent and the rest of the air was exhausted. I have been checking it for the last few days and there is no air in the filter. I had been getting air in the filter for quite awhile but had not been able to find any suction side air leaks and I was getting worried that the filter would eventually blow up if I did not let the air out every day or two.
air vent.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I could only find a very old thread when I was looking for a way to automatically vent the air from my filter. So based on some information there I made one. The most expensive part was the brass vent itself (less than $11.00), the rest is a 1/2 inch threaded pvc T, two threaded st. ells, two 1/2x1/4 inch bushings, one 1/2x1/8 inch galvanized bushing (they did not have a pvc bushing in that size) and a 1/4 inch brass nipple. The only problem was that the brass air vent leaked slightly from the top rim and I am being sent a replacement. After I restarted the pump and bled the majority of air out with the Pentair valve I loosened the cap on the brass air vent and the rest of the air was exhausted. I have been checking it for the last few days and there is no air in the filter. I had been getting air in the filter for quite awhile but had not been able to find any suction side air leaks and I was getting worried that the filter would eventually blow up if I did not let the air out every day or two.
Interesting design. There is already an air-relief tube and screen in the filter so air would not build up in it.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Nice clean work.

Off the subject, Treat yourself to a new pressure gauge......It will be so clear you'll think it electrically backlit

TFTestkits sells the 30 psi model. very easy to read and your psi can never get above about 25, anyway

585.jpg

Nice clean work.

Off the subject, Treat yourself to a new pressure gauge......It will be so clear you'll think it electrically backlit

TFTestkits sells the 30 psi model. very easy to read and your psi can never get above about 25, anyway

585.jpg
Thanks. I actually have a replacement gage (or two), but since I can still read this one I have not bothered to change it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.