Autocover Lead bar too short?

RENREN

Oct 10, 2023
Sonoma, California
Dear members,
I wish to get an opinion on the subject mentioned above. I just bought a house and was informed by the installers that the pool and auto cover are almost four years old.
Since I moved in a couple months ago, the pool collected a massive amount of water around the end of the pool where the spa is. (I’m in California and the past couple months have been warm and dry.) I ran a test and determined the water was seeping in at the corner where the lead bar and the end of the track meet.
I’ve attached some photos and I’m wondering if the cover was installed with a lead bar that’s too short. When the cover is being closed the plastic inserts that are inside the bar bend a bit because they aren’t deep enough inside the lead bar.

The photos are of each end of the lead bar in relationship to the track.

Look forward to your impressions
RENREN

Attachments

• IMG_8858.jpeg
    IMG_8858.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8855.jpeg
    IMG_8855.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
HELLO!! Welcome to Trouble Free Pools. :handwave:

I'm a bit clueless as to your problem as our cover looks a bit different than yours. I have collected some links to autocover sites that you may want to take note of for future parts or information.

Maddie 🇮🇱

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP.

Pool covers are not intended to be water tight and keep water from running off into the pool.

If you have rain runoff running into your pool then the grading around the pool is wrong. The area around the pool should be graded to slope away from the pool or drains put in to channel the water away from the pool.

Show us pics of the pool and it’s surrounding area.

I wish to submit better photos that relate to my question regarding the length of the lead bar being too short. Please reply with your impressions

Attachments

• IMG_8866.jpeg
    IMG_8866.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8865.jpeg
    IMG_8865.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8863.jpeg
    IMG_8863.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 10
Yes, I would say it looks too short in these pics. Does the lead bar actually sit on the water? It really may not make much difference other than cosmetically? The cover itself should lay on the water for support, but I'm not sure if that piece actually touches the water?

Maddie 🇮🇱

You have a Cover Pools auto cover. I have one, too. My lead bar when closed, is 4 inches on one side and 3-1/2 inches on the other side. That is measured from the edge of the lead bar to the coping.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.