Silver Supporter
Feb 23, 2022
Dickinson, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
New pool with auto-fill I had installed. Probably, like it's designed, it's working fine, but I just don't see the longevity of the float design working for much time. Maybe I'm wrong!

It's basically a standard, self-contained, toilet bowl float, which I understand not re-creating the wheel aspect of the float use. Probably lasts years and years in a toilet.

My observation is that the float fills the chamber, shuts off, then the reservoir gravity drains to pool till float kicks back in. Of course, this creates a constant cycling that can go on for a long, long, time till level in pool is reached. I see the pins wearing out on the float in short order. Even if I could adjust the float's range of operation, the gravity discharge would not keep up to fill rate.

When the replacement time comes, any alternative mechanism?

You may be surprised how long it will last.
I have only changed mine once in 20 years. And I get a LOT of evaporation here in the desert southwest.

If the pool needs water, the valve will remain on and not shut on/off constantly as you describe. The pool and the autofill chamber act as a single body of water as the connection between the two will keep the water level (whether autofill is on or off) at the exact same level.

Do you happen to know the manufacturer and model number of the autofill?

You may be surprised how long it will last.
I have only changed mine once in 20 years. And I get a LOT of evaporation here in the desert southwest.

If the pool needs water, the valve will remain on and not shut on/off constantly as you describe. The pool and the autofill chamber act as a single body of water as the connection between the two will keep the water level (whether autofill is on or off) at the exact same level.

Do you happen to know the manufacturer and model number of the autofill?
Thanks! Yes, it is a Korky brand toilet fill valve/float. It has operated, and I have had to raise the level a bit as well. When filling, the reservoir has no way to drain fast enough, as the drain opening to pool is below water, creating head enough that if valve stayed running, reservoir would flood over. What I end up with is a few seconds of fill, stop, and a few seconds of drain, open. For 1/2" or so of total pool, 1/2 gallon at a time, that's a lot of swinging of float going on :)

Then chances are it wasn’t installed correctly. Mine has a plastic disk with a small hole in it under the valve. This small hole limits the flow so the situation you are experiencing doesn’t occur.

Mine originally was a Korky. I replaced it with a standard Fluidmaster.

The key is the plastic disk with the small hole in it. Here’s a YouTube video showing it.

Then chances are it wasn’t installed correctly. Mine has a plastic disk with a small hole in it under the valve. This small hole limits the flow so the situation you are experiencing doesn’t occur.

Mine originally was a Korky. I replaced it with a standard Fluidmaster.

The key is the plastic disk with the small hole in it. Here’s a YouTube video showing it.
That's exactly it!! They installed a riser and spigot on the inlet side at the equipment pad, and my next thought was to close the spigot enough to slow fill rate, maybe. But, seems there's already something to do that which I didn't know about. I'm seeing it's also my lower seal. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: proavia
Throttling the spigot may work, but my induce some noise also. Maybe try and see. And also find or make the disk with the hole in it.

Reactions: Toxophilite
Interesting. Mine is a PoolMiser but it does use a fluidmaster fill valve. Instructions don't mention a restriction orifice as shown in that video. I do have the same issue as the OP in that the water will fill rapidly and shut off, then as it equalizes, do it again and again. I will have to check and see if I can find a restriction orifice like that, or make one, to see if that helps.

The one thing I noticed that was different from the toilet tank fill valves is that the bowl fill line is plugged. Did you do anything to plug this line when you installed a standard valve, or just let it spray out the nozzle?

--Jeff

Interesting. Mine is a PoolMiser but it does use a fluidmaster fill valve. Instructions don't mention a restriction orifice as shown in that video. I do have the same issue as the OP in that the water will fill rapidly and shut off, then as it equalizes, do it again and again. I will have to check and see if I can find a restriction orifice like that, or make one, to see if that helps.

The one thing I noticed that was different from the toilet tank fill valves is that the bowl fill line is plugged. Did you do anything to plug this line when you installed a standard valve, or just let it spray out the nozzle?

--Jeff

I removed the tube, tied it in a knot, cut it to a shorter length and put a bit of silicone caulk in the open/non connected end. After the caulk set up, I reinstalled on the valve. The present one has been in place for about 7-8 years.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool fill line is controlled as a zone of my irrigation system. Simple, reliable, inexpensive, easy to repair, and gives you total control.
Did exactly the same but controlled with a relay on my EasyTouch. I programed a schedule for 5 min a day. Safety first.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.