Auto Cover in Winter - Snow Loads

MN_poolguy

May 18, 2020
Minnesota
New-ish pool owner here. Built the pool myself in summer 2020, its a 20x40. First two winters - no issues. Lots of snow so far in Minnesota this year. Cover pump has been frozen in ice probably for a few weeks so there is that and now 18" snow piled on top from several modest storms. Though I prepare for winter with leaving the water high to support the auto-cover, it didn't work out this time. Weight of snow pushed the leading edge bar down into the pool water (which suprisingly was not thoroughly frozen yet) and pool water started flooding on top of the cover. Dumb luck that I noticed this within 30 minutes of it occurring as I'm sure things would have gone further downhill in the coming days had I not noticed. Cue the 2 hour cold/wet fire drill with a dozen helpful neighbors to clear the pool cover and perimeter area of most snow/ice/water - cover seems back to safe levels and the leading edge bar of the auto cover is back above water in normal position and I think we are OK without damage for now.

From now on I'm going to start removing snow (somehow) from the cover as winter progresses - focusing on the shallow end so the leading edge of the auto cover bar doesn't sag again under the weight. Presumably wider pools like mine are more susceptible as that is just a really long span of aluminum (20'). Maybe that is enough precaution going forward?

But my question is - Has anyone modded that leading edge bar in the winter to help support it? I'm thinking of may a strap or two secured to the leading edge bar and then tethered off to an anchor located somewhere just off the pool deck area on the shallow side? Idea to help support the bar as it tries to bend in the middle down and inward under excess snow load... I tried searching the site and google for something like this but came up empty.

Thanks!

Autocovers are not made to carry heavy snow loads.

That is why people will retract their autocover in the winter and install an anchored mesh or solid safety cover that can handle the snow loads.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.