Austin Texas Pool Build

ajones02 said:
so you dropped back to the end of the line for the subs because of back ordered stone?

Not for the stone, that was just a straight 3 week delay to get the stone in. But with the concrete it rained on our original day and they couldnt get us in for another week and a half. The rest of the concrete (planters) is supposed to be done this week, but it looks like rain again in the forecast.

harleysilo said:
what did you decide to do with the sewer line?

It just barely cut the corner of the pool. We were going to put a bench there anyway, we just made it into steps (you can see them in the picture).

If we have a problem with the sewer line, they would cut it outside the pool area, then reroute it around the pool then plug the remnants under the pool. There is some risk with all the bends that the line wouldnt work as well so we decided to just leave it. The chances of anything going wrong in just that section are pretty low so we think it is a good risk.

We had a lot of delays, but we are getting ready to plaster tomorrow. We are going with diamondbrite midnight blue. We went to see a couple of pools with pebble etc. Diamondbrite was just a lot smoother than pebble. Since we have a sports pool people will be doing a lot of standing.

Lost about 2 weeks due to rain
Lost 3 weeks due to backordered stone

We told the builder we wanted the pool done because there was literally only a few days of work to get the pool itself complete. Our patio cover, additional planter, door to the garage will all come after the pool is done. They were waiting until all the other stuff was done to complete the pool. But we are getting really close to having temperatures for swimming and we dont want to miss swimming days this season.

2012-04-29082410.jpg

2012-04-29082429.jpg

2012-04-29082336.jpg

Plaster is starting today.

We are getting midnight blue diamond brite. The PB said that they would acid wash it tomorrow then fill on thursday. Is that too long for the pool to be empty?

I was thinking the subs might acid wash today, but how much time after setting the diamondbrite should the acid wash occur?

Also is there anything I should watch for?

Our pebble style plaster sat for a day before they acid washed and I've read a thread here that talks about not having enough cure time with standard plaster before filing, so my mostly ignorant opinion is that you will be fine. :cheers:

Post more pics!

TK13LG said:
Looking good. I really like your tile.

thanks! we wanted something that reflected the hill country colors

here is the plaster (neon blue ). Pool designer wanted us to go with grey, but we like how it is dark blue and then still really blue when the sky is cloudy.

plaster.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
they were waiting to complete the patio and other ground work before finishing the pool as they didnt want to get construction material in the pool. it is starting to get hot so I told them just finish the pool. I have a feeling the patio is going to take another month but at least we will have a pool. from the time we decided to just finish the pool to fill was like 5 days.

The patio subs were scheduled 3 times but never showed.

I had an inline rainbow inline chlorinator specd but the PB thought since I was doing a stenner pump I didnt want the inline chlorinator installed. They did the plumbing without installing it, is it something I should skip or should I install it? I was thinking that it would be something helpful to use periodically.

shakenbake said:
march2012 said:
march2012 said:
I thought they were going to let it sit overnight and acid wash tomorrow, but they are going to water wash immediately and then fill today.

water wash is done, pool is filling now.

Almost there! Can't wait to see it

I didnt realize you had pebblesheen, we should have come by your house to check it out. It was only an extra 1K but gloria thought it was too rough from the samples so didnt want it and I couldnt convince her.

Ok so PB installed a hayward ecommand 4 and gave us the associated wireless remote which looks like a hockey puck. This is the remote

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... IIBEPMCMAA

Unfortunately this remote doesnt seem to let you control temperature or even the light colors. We thought we were getting the aquapod remote.

It doesnt look like the aquapod is compatible with the ecommand 4.

However the prologic PS4 is only like $100 more expensive than the ecommand. How much of a hassle is it to switch? Is it just the actual command interface panel that needs to be switched out or is it the whole box?

march2012 said:
Ok so PB installed a hayward ecommand 4 and gave us the associated wireless remote which looks like a hockey puck. This is the remote

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... IIBEPMCMAA

Unfortunately this remote doesnt seem to let you control temperature or even the light colors. We thought we were getting the aquapod remote.

It doesnt look like the aquapod is compatible with the ecommand 4.

However the prologic PS4 is only like $100 more expensive than the ecommand. How much of a hassle is it to switch? Is it just the actual command interface panel that needs to be switched out or is it the whole box?

the puck doesnt do what we want but it is ok. I dont want the features enough to fight over them. My neighbors said that the motherboard will go bad eventually and we can replace it with a better unit then.

one issue is that the system only has two relays and one is being used for lights and the other is used for the low speed mode for the pump. I want to put a stenner pump on switched into the pump so how should I wire it in? Should I just put it in parallel with the pump?

The pool is full and balanced and my daughter and I swam in it for the first time. My wife is still scared to swim in it :)

Our yard is still a construction zone, but the pool is up and running.

It keeps raining everytime we are scheduled to finish the decking and then the subs have to be rescheduled.

Pool filled with water - and water toys

2012-05-16134545.jpg

Patio cover still under construction

2012-05-16134525.jpg

Spa - no heater yet. Where there is a gap in the bushes, they all died from the drought. We are putting in a planter in the gap and planting bamboo. You can see on the shelf the white area which is pretty significant scaling from the plaster install. It actually is much worse than the picture shows and the spa is even worse.
2012-05-16134508.jpg

PB says they will do acid for 12 hours. Does that seem right?

Why would the PB plaster and fill the pool when there's still construction being done at the site? I would be very concerned about messing up the pool with all the fill-in and patio work that's left. Construction workers aren't the neatest guys in the world.

notenuftoys said:
Why would the PB plaster and fill the pool when there's still construction being done at the site? I would be very concerned about messing up the pool with all the fill-in and patio work that's left. Construction workers aren't the neatest guys in the world.

We wouldnt have a pool for 2 months at the rate we were going. I told him I wanted the pool to be done. We are 4 months in and the full decking wont be done by june. But at least we can swim in the pool (which we have been doing. They filled in the plumbing etc now with roadbase.

That's a sweet looking pool :goodjob:

I'm looking for a pool builder or subcontractor in Austin, Texas

Do you have anyone who worked on your project that you would recommend?

(mine is a small repair project - to cut out, replace the skimmer, and re-patch my concrete pool deck.)

Thanks,
David

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.