August and pool is losing water again

Hey, hey enough with 1978. I was just up near Albany in the wonderful town of Saratoga Springs for the races. Great time at the Travers and the Friday and Sunday as well.

Anyways, I have let it drop down to the skimmer and it does stop so yes I believe that the leakage if it is a true leak is above the skimmer mouth.

I have put red dye in skimmer with pump off but did not see the dye drawn anywhere, might try again.

The pool has had all the tile replaced last spring along with fresh coats of Aquabrite. So I don't think its the shell. This issue seems to be happening prior to and after the refinishing

Like somebody else said when the water is high the rate of loss seems more.

Will get bucket updates now that I have returned from vacation.

As always thanks for the help.

Is it possible that the seasonal groundwater levels are very close to the ground surface for most of the summer and then drop down in August?

Imagine a bowl full of water with a small crack in the side near the rim (your pool). It is in a basin of water (the groundwater outside your pool and surrounding it) where the water in the basin is just below the rim but above the crack. When the basin water (groundwater) is above the crack it is more or less in equilibrium with the water in the bowl (your pool). The water in the basin starts to drain (groundwater levels drop due to drought or less rainfall). When it gets below the crack the water in the bowl starts to flow out and it seems like your pool is leaking more. This is a very simplified model but might to explain the situation.

The GW levels are hard to confirm unless you have a well or piezometer (a small well that only exists to measure GW levels) where you could measure the GW levels.

You still have a leak but maybe this might explain what is happening.

Bill

Up in Concord, NH, I too just started to loose water out of the blue starting last week. Same thing happened last August then seem to stop on its own, I put it down to evaporation. Recently night temps have dropped drastically compared to a few weeks ago, day temperatures have soared.
Water seems to drop to around the same level after I top it off. I will be letting it drop down to its final level and perform a dye test on the skimmer to hopefully rule out any leak there.

So to update bucket test results. I topped the pool off just before I left for Saratoga.

on 8/27 8am outside bucket 7.25, in bucket 9.5

8/28 6am (morning golf) outside bucket 6.75, in bucket 9.25

Rickv54, and others, maybe this type of loss this time of year is normal, I don't know? It seems coincidence that many of us are seeing it, although frankly the weather seems about the same (day/night temps) as July.

I'm convinced it's something to do with the low humidity and cool temps. 2 of my immediate neighbors had the same issue and a guy from work 20 miles away had the same issue. I lost 2 inches in 3 days. Filled it back up last night and didn't drop a bit. No rain at all and the humidity is back

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.