Augmenting in floor cleaners

infinus2

Nov 14, 2022
Az
I have some in floor pop up cleaners and a skimmer that keep the pool clean most of the time. There are occasions with high wind where I get more debris than usual in the pool. This can be leaves, stems and dirt that kind of gets stuck in certain areas of the pool like corners etc.

In these times the in floor cleaners blow them around but inevitably they end up in the same place. Brushing them towards the drain doesn’t work because they just scatter in the pool. The net works okay but getting them off the floor doesn’t always work well.

What are my options? I have a skimmer but no place to hook up a hose for a manual vac. A robot might be overkill and won’t play nice with the pop ups I’m sure. Is there a middle ground? Is there the equivalent of a handheld vac for the pool for spot cleaning I can attach to the end of the pole that does not need the pump to create suction?

I have some in floor pop up cleaners and a skimmer that keep the pool clean most of the time. There are occasions with high wind where I get more debris than usual in the pool. This can be leaves, stems and dirt that kind of gets stuck in certain areas of the pool like corners etc.

In these times the in floor cleaners blow them around but inevitably they end up in the same place. Brushing them towards the drain doesn’t work because they just scatter in the pool. The net works okay but getting them off the floor doesn’t always work well.

What are my options? I have a skimmer but no place to hook up a hose for a manual vac. A robot might be overkill and won’t play nice with the pop ups I’m sure. Is there a middle ground? Is there the equivalent of a handheld vac for the pool for spot cleaning I can attach to the end of the pole that does not need the pump to create suction?
Try a leaf rake.

Try a leaf rake.
After googling that I guess that is what I have but the edge on mine is not very good at getting the leaves off the floor It usually runs them over and I have to double back to get it. Maybe I just need a different style one or a different technique.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 6
I augmented my IFCS with a robot mostly because I struggle keeping up with brushing the pool. I toss the robot in on weekend mornings, before my IFCS is scheduled to run. This way the popups are not an issue. Although I have run it with the IFCS at the same time and I don't think the popups are much of an issue.

--Jeff

After googling that I guess that is what I have but the edge on mine is not very good at getting the leaves off the floor It usually runs them over and I have to double back to get it. Maybe I just need a different style one or a different technique.
Try this, hooks to a garden hose and works best if the hose is attached to a hose bib between pump and filter:

Or a battery-powered one:

POOL BLASTER Water Tech Leaf Vac - Cordless Battery-Powered Swimming Pool Leaf Skimmer & Leaf Vacuum with Heavy-Duty Mesh Bag

Reactions: ralphsyv
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I’ll do what I usually do and start with the cheaper solution (better leaf rake) and work my way up. Knowing me tomorrow I’ll be shopping for $1000+ robots.

~$600 or so. Robot would last you a super long time if only using occasionally.

My technique is to move it forward slowly above the leaves to stir them up off the bottom, then go back a few inches and scoop them up. Forward and back in a small loop.

A good leaf rake has a solid plastic strip that you push along the bottom and it scoops leaves off the bottom into the net.

IMG_0975.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: ralphsyv

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.