Attaching solar cover to straps....screws not holding

Veccster

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2016
Pittsburgh PA
I probably know the solution but thought I'd ask...or maybe see if this is a common problem.

The solar reel has plastic screws that penetrate through the top of the cover and insert into the clip that holds the strap (on the bottom side of the cover). Well, they are plastic screws and several of ours stripped at the slightest bit of pressure during installation.

So what is a good replacement?

My thought is either a plastic rivet or plastic screw with a plastic nut on the other side. I'll make a trip to the hardware store this afternoon to see what I can find. Or maybe find something on Amazon.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I think it's a pretty stupid design concept myself. I'm thinking doubling up the edge I want to grab on to and using some kind of rubber coated clamp and attaching the straps to that.

Update - nylon nuts, bolts and washers from Home Depot were the answer. $10 in supplies. Much better than the black plastic screws they provide.

34636862323_8955954594_c.jpg

34636866833_6c20c6bd61_c.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.