At my wits end with Leslie's, hoping you can help

Mkay. Guess I'll just keep letting the pump slowly do its job. I was kinda hoping to speed it up for the sake of the dog jumping in it all the time.

Out of curiosity, when will I know the algae is all properly dead? Is there a particular color or just uh, when it's totally clear?

The algae is predominantly dead when green is gone, even if still cloudy; maybe a little live in areas, but very limited...
Officially, when the overnight test is passed is when all the algae is dead!
In the mean time, the FC levels kill bacteria/viruses before the algae, so is safe for swimming even if still a little cloudy!

Tell me about it. This is my second attempt this summer. I had it going fine a couple weeks ago using bleach, and it stained really fast so I took a sample to Leslie's. They had me drop the chlorine back to zero to remove the stain. Of course, the algae shot right back up to what it was, maybe even worse. And now I'm stuck with stain again, plus out the money for the stain remover.

Okay, need a little more advice here. I just got my kit today. Did my chlorine test:

FC: 17.5
CC: .5
TC: 18

Okay, that's great assuming my CYA was 50 like Leslie's told me. For a lark, I did a CYA test for myself, and I got a reading of somewhere between 90 and 100. Now, I might have done that test wrong. I don't really know HOW... it's pretty straightforward. Still, it's possible. But what would account for such a huge discrepancy between what the pool store told me and what I measured myself? If my CYA is that high, I've got no choice but to partially drain and bring it down to a more reasonable level.

I have two ways to go. I can either drain now, and refill, then test in the morning. Or, I can wait and do an overnight test with it as is, and see what I get. The pool is still blue/gray, and it does appear a bit clearer than this morning. It's clearly progressing, but I also wonder if I'm not reaching my actual shock level due to the stupid high CYA.

So, thoughts? How should I tackle this?

Large differences between store readings and readings done yourself are all to common. You would be amazed at how wildly wrong may major pool stores can be.

Before you replace water you should double check your CYA test result. Remember that the test is designed to be used in direct sunlight with your back to the sun so the view tube is shaded by your body. The black dot should completely disappear, so there is no hint it was ever there, even after staring at it for several seconds. You can also pour the solution back into the dispenser bottle and do the reading over again several times as long as it is all within about five minutes if you have any doubts.

I would do an overnight FC test tonight, and then double check the CYA result tomorrow.

Didn't quite beat the sun this morning. I overslept thanks to new puppy exhaustion. Anyway, my readings were:

FC: 14
CC: 1.5

Last night they were 17.5 and .5, respectively. So, it looks like I've still got algae dying off. That makes sense, there's still a hint of green though it's becoming difficult to tell because the pool stain is so pronounced. I bumped the chlorine back to 16 this morning before I left for work, and I'll have my roommate add a little bit in the afternoon to keep it high.

On a more positive note, I can see the bottom of the deep end now. Not clearly, but it's definitely there. At this rate, I'm thinking I'll have everything dead and can tackle the metal stain by Sunday.

You guys have been a huge help!

ps. Forgot to mention, my water level has been steadily dropping all week due to the extremely hot "spring" here in Atlanta. It's in risk of dropping below the skimmer, so I shut that off and have the pump siphoning entirely from the main drain. I'll probably fill it up some tomorrow when I'm home to really watch the chlorine level, but I don't want to go overboard because i'll just be raising the stain line. If I can hold off until the algae is dead, I can hit it all with ascorbic acid and clear it all up in one go.

Redo the CYA test. If it really is 100, you'll need way more chlorine to kill the algae which will be impractical so a partial water change will be required. Basically:
- Check CYA
- Replace a bit of water if too high
- Maintain chlorine high enough and run pump 24/7
- At some point, once it looks better, do an overnight chlorine loss test. Keep doing it until you don't lose chlorine at night
- Let the pump run for a few days until water is clear

Oh yeah, vacuum / backwash as required.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's my plan tomorrow when I'll be home all day and can really watch it. It's tougher when I'm gone to work half the day. I should be able to finish clearing it this weekend. It really does look markedly more clear already.

It might be worth trying to track down the source of the metals.

If you have your fill water tested for metals and it turns out to be low - then you could replace a big chunk of your water and fix the metal issue and the CYA issue in 1 swoop.

If the previous owners used large amounts of copper algecide..... maybe that's the source instead of the fill water. Just a thought.

Chlorine was still pretty high when I got home, but I didn't see a marked change from this morning. CC is down, though. It's about to rain, so I bumped it up a point or two in anticipation. I've also got the hose running to fill it at least a little bit as i have no choice. I need to vacuum what I can see, and the water level has dropped to the point that the skimmer sucks in air. I've had it running off the main drain only all day.

I also noticed both my jets need replacing, and there might be some algae hanging out behind them. I'm going to buy replacements tomorrow.

Couple shots I took with the phone. It's notably better than the original post, but still getting there.

IMAG0129.jpg

You can really see what I'm talking about re: the metal stain. It's gonna be a *****.

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0131.jpg

Also, could this be the source of my metal contamination? The screws around the skimmer are either stained or rusted. I'm wondering if they can be replaced with nylon ones.

IMAG0132.jpg

You definitely should replace those screws but I highly doubt that enough metal has corroded off of that few to be an issue.
You should have your water tested for metals, both iron and copper.
Are you sure that's metal staining? It doesn't really look like it to me but I can't really tell.

I've had it tested several times, and it always reads negative. The stain does come right off with ascorbic acid though. I do it every summer.

Chlorine was FC 20, CC 0 when I woke up this morning. It was after sun up, so something burned off but it held pretty high. I left the pump off last night, and it seemed a bit clearer when I woke up. I did another CYA test though, and it still read close to 100. I've got to go to Leslie's today for new jet returns, so I'll have them retest that just to see what they get (they told me 50 earlier in the week). I'm also going to have them metal test my pool water, and also a sample just from my hose to see if the fill water I'm using has metals in it.

Update time!

I drained the pool down about a foot below the skimmer (I've read that much more than that isn't safe in fiberglass) and refilled it, keeping the chlorine high. It brought the CYA down a little, but not much. In any event, I think the algae is dead at this point. The water is really clear, but there's still a greenish cast to it. Problem is, I can't tell if that's a result of the staining, or metals in the water, or if I've still got algae and don't know it. Also of interest, I tossed a small bit of ascorbic acid, maybe 1/5 a cup, into one end just to show my girlfriend that the stain removes easily. That was days ago, and it hasn't returned despite the very high chlorine level. Not sure what to make of that.

I think I'm at a point where I can start letting the chlorine drop down to fight the stain. It's around 18 ppm now, and I'm planning to let it drop today and tomorrow and see what happens. If the water starts to cloud up again, I assume I've still got algae problems. Otherwise, I assume that the greenish cast is from the metals present. After all, the water shouldn't be CLEAR and green if it's algae right?

It tested at 18 this morning, and it's been as high as 25 this week. My CYA is still high, probably 85 or 90, but I've had the chlorine at very high levels for 8 days now. If anything's alive in there, it's earned it. I did have some CC, but not much. Maybe 1 ppm.

Also, when brushing I'm not noticing nearly as much dead algae rising up. If it weren't for the stain I really do think it would be clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.