South Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Im trying to finalize coping and deck materials on a fiberglass build with swcg and I’ve considered most of the materials at one point or another. I thought I was set on travertine coping and sundek, but I really don’t like the look of sundek. I started researching travertine for coping and decking and peoples‘ experience seems to be all over the place regarding durability and degree of slippage. I found a few threads regarding artistic pavers, specifically shellock Pavers. This product seems to check all the boxes for me: Durable, cooler to touch in full sun, non slip when wet, looks good, fairly easy to install. I really like the product’s ability to have the coping bullnose on multiple edges to allow for a finished look to spa and wall tops. My tentative plan is to have a concrete deck and install the pavers on top of the deck. There is not a lot of current information on the boards regarding the artistic paver brand. Does anyone out there have any personal experience or insight to this type of coping/decking system?

There is not a lot of current information on the boards regarding the artistic paver brand.
I agree. I haven't read *every* post here but it's the first I'm hearing of them. Here's a bunch of threads about them.

My tentative plan is to have a concrete deck and install the pavers on top of the deck
This was SO the way to go. The concrete guys were in and out because they weren't prepping the ground to prevent cracks. Then the paver guys had it laid in 2 days, and I got 1800 sq ft. They laid them right on the perfectly flat slab, also no prep work needed. Some use a sand base but it's been real nice with no ants.

With both crews saving the bulk of their labor, I basically got 2 patios for the price of one.

Reactions: Lampasas1
I installed Artistic Pavers as coping and for my deck. My build thread has some photos to check out. Here is one shot of the deck
I truly like the Artistic Pavers. Mine were laid out on a prepared sand/dirt bed. I wanted the ability to pull up the paver if I ever needed to get underneath it without worrying about jack hammering my deck.

I installed Artistic Pavers as coping and for my deck. My build thread has some photos to check out. Here is one shot of the deck
I truly like the Artistic Pavers. Mine were laid out on a prepared sand/dirt bed. I wanted the ability to pull up the paver if I ever needed to get underneath it without worrying about jack hammering my deck.
What color/style artistic paver did you install for your coping? It looks like you installed a different color behind your pool cover too.

This was SO the way to go. The concrete guys were in and out because they weren't prepping the ground to prevent cracks. Then the paver guys had it laid in 2 days, and I got 1800 sq ft. They laid them right on the perfectly flat slab, also no prep work needed. Some use a sand base but it's been real nice with no ants.
New dude, so is it my understanding that you did not put a sand base on top of the slab before laying the pavers? If not, did the installers mortar the pavers to the slab as you would tile? Any sand between the pavers to “lock” them in?

it my understanding that you did not put a sand base on top of the slab before laying the pavers?
Correct. Just pavers directly laid on the slab. The border tiles and coping were glued with the appropriate PL construction adhesive and then they used polymeric sand to lock them all in place. I did an experiment with some leftovers and made a hockey puck in the bottom of a solo cup. It was as hard as a rock when it cured. I've heard some brands are spongy/rubbery.

Reactions: Lampasas1
Correct. Just pavers directly laid on the slab. The border tiles and coping were glued with the appropriate PL construction adhesive and then they used polymeric sand to lock them all in place.
One thought is coming to mind. If your coping and border tiles are glued down, there is essentially a shallow pool that the pavers are laying in that might collect water. Have you experienced this? Did you do anything to mitigate this such as creating weep holes in the border pavers or drains through the slab on the low side? Great information newdude. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Newdude
If your coping and border tiles are glued down, there is essentially a shallow pool that the pavers are laying in that might collect water.
The polymeric sand is all but water tight and the water drains right off the top. I did a stupid large patio and there's a couple of spots that were unavoidable to puddle, as hard as we tried with multiple pitches. It sits there for hours until it evaporates. It's well documented towards the end of my build thread in my sig.

The safety cover anchors punched holes near the pool and theoretically help if any water gets under anywhere near them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.