Armed with a kit now just need some knowledge

OK it's starting to sink in now. I thought I had read those articles thoroughly until tonight. So that being said I will add some ash and bleach tomorrow at the return and do that from now on. I'll keep you posted with new numbers. I'll test again tomorrow after the SWG cycle (I'll add the ash and bleach before the cycle) but when should I expect real numbers? Saturday? Sunday?

When do you add the bleach? I am worried that it will drop too low in the meantime.

Not sure I follow your question. I haven't been adding bleach since the SWG came in. I just did a FC and PH test a few mins ago before I added anything. Pool got about 1 - 1.5" of water last night because of a thunderstorm. FC was 2 and PH was still 7ish. I'll retest after the SWG cycle today to see where things are. I'm also going to test pre SWG cycle again tomorrow and adjust SWG run time if need be.

- - - Updated - - -

I went with what pool math told me. 5.5oz of ash and I used the yesterdays 3.5 FC and added 11oz of 10%. Probably still low but I want to see what it registers after the cycle.

- - - Updated - - -

You are doing great! I still read my test instructions everytime and I've done it hundreds of times LOLOLOLOL.

Thanks!

Your absolute low FC should be 3 with a target of 5. It was even suggested that you target 6. THEN, once the FC is in line with your CYA, you can tweak the SWG. To have FC at low levels is inviting algae (even if not visible to the eye), to grow. I would bump the FC to 5 with chlorine even with the SWG on.

Got ya. Just ran the test again. Been about 45 mins since I added the ash and 10%. FC is 4 and PH is in between 7.2-7.5, closer to the 7.5 side tho. SWG kicks on for it 3hr cycle here in about 5mins. Going to test again once it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK so here are the numbers I pulled yesterday and this morning

Pre anything
PH 7
FC 2

30 mins after ash and 10%
PH 7.4 ish (in between 7.2-7.5 color)
FC 4

About 30 mins after SWG cycle
PH 7.4
FC 7
CC .5
CH 50
TA 60
CYA 60-70

This morning, suns up and on the pool, about 3 hrs before SWG cycle
PH 7.4
FC 3

Pretty sure when I vacuumed the pool yesterday I was vacuuming up dead algae. Today pool looks just as clear as it did after I vacuumed yesterday. Not sure if I should keep the course or do some more adjusting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep the course. You will still have to vacuum some dead algae for a day or so or it may be already gone. Everything indicates you are fine tuning SWG to keep FC between 7 and 3 ppm.....that's very good. You will probably fine tune it a little closer as you learn your pools needs.

TA, pH,CH and CYA all look very nice.

Keep the course. You will still have to vacuum some dead algae for a day or so or it may be already gone. Everything indicates you are fine tuning SWG to keep FC between 7 and 3 ppm.....that's very good. You will probably fine tune it a little closer as you learn your pools needs.

TA, pH,CH and CYA all look very nice.

Awesome Thank you. I'm going to keep and eye on it for the next couple of days to make sure the FC stays between 7 and 3ppm.

- - - Updated - - -

So you lost 4 ppm chlorine overnight?

Yes, That's the way it tested this morning. But the pool had sun on it for at least 4 hours before I tested it.

Ok just ran PH and FC again after SWG cycle.

PH still over 7.2 but lower than 7.5 so going to add some more ash

FC is back down to 4. Don't get why so going to add some 10% to get up to 7 for tonight and run 1hr long on the SWG tomorrow.

Ran the CYA again given FC is back to 4 and it's back down to 50. Guess all the rain has messed me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another set of numbers.

After SWG yesterday
FC 3 Don't know why

Late night say 1900 EST
12oz of 10% (Pump ran for less than an hour after addition, didn't want to mess up the timer settings)
FC 5.5 Should have been higher but not sure what I did wrong.

Today. Actually was able to swing by the house and redo timers on pump and SWG. Set SWG for a 4hr run cycle today.
3hrs into cycle
Normal sample
FC 3

Straight from return jet
FC 7.5

1 hour after SWG cycle and swim
FC 6

I also added more CYA to get back to 70 AGAIN, was back down to 50. Not sure why I can't keep the CYA stable.

I'm wondering if I've got my timing for the SWG set for the wrong time of day. I've got it set to where it starts in full sun and when its done the pool is pretty much in the shade from then on. On the other hand it sits in full sun with nothing for about 6hrs this time of year before pump or SWG cycles.

Not sure if I'm over thinking this thing or just plain doing it wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Ok so
1330 today FC was 2.5

at 1830 FC was 5 PH was 7.2. Added more ash, massaged the CYA sock, and 12oz of 10%.

At 2030 PH was up to 7.5 and FC is 8.

Pool bottom has remained clean, no dead algae just a few leaves and blooms from the wind. Will probable run the FC again here in about 3-4hrs to see how much it drops.

My beer-laden brain is reeling from the military times. Hang in there!

- - - Updated - - -

Don't like FC at 2.5.... How clear is the water?

LOL sorry about that. Its what I use at work. Yeah I've been fighting to keep it above 3. Water is clear and bottom is clean, well other than a few blades of grass the kids drug in there tonight.

Fighting the FC has kept me beer-laden.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.