trstaz

Jul 22, 2018
Chandler/Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My CH was around 575 so I drained about 60% of the pool which the Pool Math app recommended and I am now at 330. My Pool Math app says my target is 250 and need to drain more water. Living in AZ what should one set in the app as the Target CH please? Thanks

Our tap water CH is around 200-250 ppm and TA around 110.
It's possible to manage your pool chemistry with CH up to around 1000 ppm. It take a TA around 60-70 and continuous pH monitoring to keep CSI within range. And after a couple years, a full drain/refill is warranted.

Your best bet would be to have a water softener and use that soft water for your autofill. This will keep your CH in check. With our hard water, your CH will go up 250 to 400 ppm or more yearly do to evaporation.

There is no "target" CH - you can use that in PM to see how much to drain when CH gets high. That 'target' setting should be your current CH until it gets high enough to need a drain/refill. You need to use the CH you have and adjust other parameters to keep CSI in range. In PoolMath, Settings, turn on Track CSI, Track Water Temperature and Track Combined Chlorine.
The goal is to keep CSI around 0.00 - best to keep slightly negative, in the 0.00 to -0.30 (negative 0.30) range to minimize calcium scaling.

It’s difficult to maintain a lower range CH around here unless you have a water softener and even with one it will still creep up slowly over the years. Our water starts at a CH of 250ppm even under the best of circumstances with exception of a few communities that heavily treat their municipal water to remove CH.

Once you get above 800ppm, the Taylor test becomes unreliable and you have to do dilutions of the test sample to get decent results. It also creates more acid use as you need to keep TA and pH lower. So I would put the upper limit of CH around 800ppm for Arizona pools. After that point, you need to drain and reduce.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.