Are we on the right track???

2:15 Test result

FC steady 20! Woohoo! :party:

I just saw the latest post so next test I will test FC and CC.

Also, great pointing out the CYA! Yesterday it was 50 so that's why I keep aiming for 20. I will try and remember to double check chart if CYA changes again. We added the stabilizer about 3 days ago when it measured 0. I read that it takes 4-7 days to do its thing. At what level should it remain?

Now I need more bleach! Off to the store!

Rhoadal said:
Also, great pointing out the CYA! Yesterday it was 50 so that's why I keep aiming for 20. I will try and remember to double check chart if CYA changes again. We added the stabilizer about 3 days ago when it measured 0. I read that it takes 4-7 days to do its thing. At what level should it remain?

What level were you targeting? If your pool is 40k gallons (huge by the way) and you added 15 pounds, that should add 45ppm of CYA.

If you are now at 70ppm, either:
1. You did not start a 0ppm
2. Your pool is not 40k gallons
3. You added more than 15 pounds.

Likely if is some combination of the first 2.

Can you add more dimensions of your pool? Depth? Shape? ... even a picture.
If is was a true rectangle, with an average depth of 5' (which is pretty high) that would only be 30k gallons.

Believe it or not we don't own a tape measure currently! Horrible I know! We estimated our pool was 20x40. Leslies told us that those dimensions were 40,000 gallons. I think it's probably smaller. It is basic rectangle. Very deep in the deep end. 8 feet at least. I will work on getting exact measurements.

Wow ... can not even trust Leslies for a volume estimate.

To be around 40k, with a 20x40 rectangle would require an average depth of over 6.5 feet ... that would require half the pool at 4 feet and half the pool at 9 feet ... but in reality the bottom is not usually the full depth unless you have sharp corners at the bottom of the walls.

Bottom line, I bet you pool is smaller and you have now added way too much CYA and likely need to replace some water to get it back in acceptable range (unless you happen to have a SWG).

Higher CYA means you need to maintain higher FC levels. The shock target is a function of the CYA (either in the table or the calculator).

What does your water look like now? It will not hurt anything to continue to leave it at 70ppm for now, but it means the shock level is 20-28ppm depending on your source.

It has not been a week yet, so all the CYA may not be registering ... so hard to know how much water to replace, but likely at least 1/3 to get back down to the recommended range.

Latest Results:
FC 15
CC 0
CYA 45 ( My husband did it this time. He said his eyesight is better than mine.)

Added bleach. Also bought a tape measure, and it turns out my pool is 36x18. So gallons???

Good news is I'm starting to see the bottom of the deep end around the edges!!

You have a tape measurer now ... did you use it to measure the depth? Seems that people are not very good at eyeballing the depth.
Is 50% of the pool shallow and then a step 25% decent and 25% deep?
Or is is more 1/3 1/3 1/3?

I would guess between 27k and 32k ... probably closer to 29k.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've measured 3 times today. Lost about 5ppm overnight again. The latest FC was holding at 20. The CC has been 0 all day.

Good news! The deep end is fully visible but slightly cloudy still. The shallow end is sparkling! And I've ordered the FAS addition to the test kit.

When we get to the end of this process... Do we just let the chlorine fall to a normal level?

Our pool is looking gorgeous!!!! We accomplished in a week what Leslies couldn't do in 2 months!! Friday night the FC level seemed to hold steady. Our FAS addition should be here tomorrow. We'll do another full test then!! I'm so excited!! A little knowledge is worth it's weight in gold sometimes!! On another note, we also ordered a Dolphin vacuum!! My husband is thrilled!!

Rhoadal said:
Our pool is looking gorgeous!!!! We accomplished in a week what Leslies couldn't do in 2 months!! Friday night the FC level seemed to hold steady. Our FAS addition should be here tomorrow. We'll do another full test then!! I'm so excited!! A little knowledge is worth it's weight in gold sometimes!! On another note, we also ordered a Dolphin vacuum!! My husband is thrilled!!

We love nothing more than hearing this. Awesome...keep it up. :goodjob: ( I knew you would succeed BTW) :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.