Are these plugs interchangeable?

Leonian

Gold Supporter
Aug 2, 2016
New Jersey
First time at trying to close my pool myself. I just purchased a Cyclone. I plan to airlock the main drain and plug the return lines after blowing them out. My question is what to plug them with. I see two types of plugs among my pool paraphernalia (see photo). One is rubber with a wing nut, the other threaded plastic with an O-ring. Are these plugs basically equivalent and interchangeable (assuming the port I'm closing has the same threading as the plastic plug)?

I gather one silicone lubes the plastic plug if it is used. Is that correct? Is any prep needed for the rubber plug?

I haven't figured out what I am doing with the skimmers yet. I will either get gizzmos for the two skimmers or plug them and put capped empty plastic bottles in them. I have a mesh cover and although I plan to lower below the skimmers, the skimmers are likely to get water in them prior to next year's opening, so I should protect them from freezing water. If I do plug them, what would the forum suggest I use?

Feedback much appreciated.

Attachments

• pool plug.jpg
    pool plug.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 1
They are interchangeable if they are the same size. I like using threaded plugs when possible as you don’t risk them popping out.
Let’s ring @Newdude to make sure you got it all lined out before you start

Reactions: Leonian
Are these plugs basically equivalent and interchangeable
You have multiple pipes needing plugging. The threaded one is clearly for the return (s). The other one fits a pipe with no threads, possibly a vac line or at the pad once a piece of equipment is removed.

Use silicone lube on the threaded return and O-ring, but be mindful that it will go in much easier once lubed so be careful not to crack the return pipe by overnightening. Once the O-ring starts to compress, it's good. I bought cheapo no name plugs from Amazon and the o-ring was a half inch from the wall fully seated. 🤦‍♂️

No prep needed for the rubber expansion plug. Stick it in and tighten the wing nut.
I haven't figured out what I am doing with the skimmers yet. I will either get gizzmos for the two skimmers or plug them and put capped empty plastic bottles in them.
Gizzmos are cheap and last years and years. Stuff the skimmer mouth full of cut up pool noodles for further insurance.

Most of the above is covered here from last year's closing. You're doing the same except with a cyclone.

Reactions: Leonian
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.