Are these numbers decent? Looking to SLAM

Aznewmom

May 22, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Hi everyone.
Here are my numbers and a couple photos. I ran my first tests (on my own) since my pool was refilled and equipment replaced, last summer. The pool was empty, acid washed, refilled. We live in Tucson, so the water is super hard here. I know the CH is a bit high, but not too much I can do about it. I tried the pH via the meter and the color test. Hence the bit of variation in the numbers shown in the photo.

I am now looking to do my first SLAM. I will try to follow all the instructions. ;)🤞
Everything I have done, up to this point, has made the pool a bit better, but it is still cloudy and green. Not as green as it was a week ago, but still not right. I've been vacuuming the bottom, adjusting pH and CYA.
I used the Pool-Math app, and put in that I want to now hit at a level 10 for FC. It gave me the amount of liquid chlorine to get up to that FC level to begin the SLAM process. Is that truly where I want to be? I just want to be sure before I start.

30,000 gallon, in-ground, plaster pool. Tucson, AZ.
Today's numbers:
pH = 7.5
FC = 1.0
CC = 0.5
TC = 1.5
CH = 400
TA = 70
CYA= 70

Thanks for any help to get started.
I am watching a YouTube video TFP did on the SLAM topic.
I have also been reading up on it, here.

Have a great week!

20230403_230741423_iOS conv.jpeg20230404_005919507_iOS conv.jpeg20230404_005933662_iOS conv.jpeg

Bummer you added so much CYA. You do not show a SWCG. You should not go above 50 ppm without one.

Your SLAM level FC is 28 ppm. Big volume pool so get ready to spend some money on liquid chlorine.

Hi everyone.
Here are my numbers and a couple photos. I ran my first tests (on my own) since my pool was refilled and equipment replaced, last summer. The pool was empty, acid washed, refilled. We live in Tucson, so the water is super hard here. I know the CH is a bit high, but not too much I can do about it. I tried the pH via the meter and the color test. Hence the bit of variation in the numbers shown in the photo.

I am now looking to do my first SLAM. I will try to follow all the instructions. ;)🤞
Everything I have done, up to this point, has made the pool a bit better, but it is still cloudy and green. Not as green as it was a week ago, but still not right. I've been vacuuming the bottom, adjusting pH and CYA.
I used the Pool-Math app, and put in that I want to now hit at a level 10 for FC. It gave me the amount of liquid chlorine to get up to that FC level to begin the SLAM process. Is that truly where I want to be? I just want to be sure before I start.

30,000 gallon, in-ground, plaster pool. Tucson, AZ.
Today's numbers:
pH = 7.5
FC = 1.0
CC = 0.5
TC = 1.5
CH = 400
TA = 70
CYA= 70

Thanks for any help to get started.
I am watching a YouTube video TFP did on the SLAM topic.
I have also been reading up on it, here.

Have a great week!

View attachment 480286View attachment 480287View attachment 480288
Echo what Marty said on the CYA, but you have almost no chlorine in the pool so that’s likely why it’s cloudy. Do yourself a favor and get it up to a minimum of 5ppm for a few days and see if that helps or go straight to the SLAM process and then when it’s done make sure your FC never goes below the minimum ratio of whatever your CYA level is.

Thank you all for the help! I'm so glad I wrote.

I got the 10 from the app. It was showing me a range from 5 to ten for the numbers I entered. My guess is I entered something incorrectly???? I'm on a pretty big learning curve here, it seems. Frankly, I was pretty much ready to give up this past weekend. Taking over the care of this huge pool was not on my "list". BUT.......here I am. Learning things I thought I'd never have to learn. (Anyone know about gutters and replacing a toilet? haha!) I feel a bit better about my situation today, thanks to all your help.

I'm sad about the CYA. I only put a few tabs in, a couple days ago, as it was near zero (or so I thought), due to the refill of the entire pool, and no tabs, 8 months/a year ago. It could be a bit lower, with my crummy eyes it was pretty tough to see just exactly when that black dot disappeared. I will remove any remaining tabs this morning. Is this why I will need so much extra chlorine?

I definitely understand the 1 to 5 ppm holding pattern. Thanks for that. That is what I have been trying to do for the past week or so. I finally have the new pump running and have hopefully learned what I am doing with that. The guy who put it in/set it all up didn't give me any in-depth instructions. I have learned to actually get it open, prime it, backwash, read the gauge, which way (I think!) the "Jandy" handle needs to sit for the new skimmer, etc. I knew I had a lot to learn and read about, but still needed to get the circulation going and kill any skeeter larvae. So, this was my holding pattern and it has worked for that. However, I now need to take things to the next level.

That's when I read about the SLAM, found the video and the instructions. I have been trying to find my kit and then get my numbers right. Order supplies and vacuum out the gunk I cannot see, at the bottom. So that is where I am now.

I will work today to see how much chlorine I will need for this SLAM. I will order up more if needed. This all has been very costly so far and makes it clear to me that I should never let things slide! I had no idea I would need to bump it up to 28ppm. I will need to figure out that in gallons of chlorine, next.

Thank you, again, everyone. I will update once I get things in place and start. I'm pretty sure I will end up with questions.

I only put a few tabs in, a couple days ago, as it was near zero (or so I thought), due to the refill of the entire pool, and no tabs, 8 months/a year ago.
A few tablets did not raise your CYA that high. You are saying after a complete drain and refill, no CYA was added and you have only used a 'few' tablets? Did you use any powdered 'shock'? That is typically Dichlor, which is 50% CYA.

Do your CYA test again. Read this CYA Testing - Further Reading

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PS - I used the CYA chart, via the link given, just now. I see the 28 and know why I thought it was less. I was first using the pool math app, probably incorrectly, AND making a guess on the CYA due to not being able to locate my test kit. The assumptions, again, were due to the all new water last summer. Wrong assumption, I see now. So, 28ppm it is! Of to figure that out and make sure I have enough chlorine on hand. Also to remove any pucks, add some water, and re-test the CYA. THANKS!

A few tablets did not raise your CYA that high. You are saying after a complete drain and refill, no CYA was added and you have only used a 'few' tablets? Did you use any powdered 'shock'? That is typically Dichlor, which is 50% CYA.

Do your CYA test again. Read this CYA Testing - Further Reading
I put four each in two floaters. Two days ago.
No, I did not use any of that. NOW, the guy who initially set everything up and replaced the equipment, came by and took care of things several times in the first month after he was done. He did add granular chlorine to the pool when he was dealing with it. He wanted me to hire him, but I could not afford what he wanted per month. So, I used the liquid chlorine, but things got out of hand over the fall/winter and it all went green. :-( So, THAT could be where some of it came from, I would guess.

PS - I used the CYA chart, via the link given, just now. I see the 28 and know why I thought it was less. I was first using the pool math app, probably incorrectly, AND making a guess on the CYA due to not being able to locate my test kit. The assumptions, again, were due to the all new water last summer. Wrong assumption, I see now. So, 28ppm it is! Of to figure that out and make sure I have enough chlorine on hand. Also to remove any pucks, add some water, and re-test the CYA. THANKS!
The app uses the cya value you enter to determine target & slam fc recommendations. If you enter 70ppm as your cya it should show 28ppm for slam.
Try the test again to confirm. Be sure the sample is room temperature & you’re testing in bright light (preferably outdoors w/back to the sun)
You can pour your testing mixture back into the squirty bottle & perform the last part of the test as many times as you need to feel confident in what you’re seeing. I normally do it 3 or 4 times.
Use
PoolMath to calculate amounts

FYI - to go from 0 FC to 28 ppm FC in a 30000 gallon pool will take about 8 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine.
THANK YOU! I think that is all I have on hand right now. I will need more, for sure.
Will any of this harm the equipment? Or is the pool "eating" it all up so fast, that is not a real issue?
Just wondering what I might need to watch for down the line.

Will any of this harm the equipment?
IF your CYA is 70, a FC of 28 ppm has less active chlorine in it than your tap water. No harm. Just be to add the liquid chlorine at a return, with the pump running, and brush the pool after adding.

Try the test again to confirm. Be sure the sample is room temperature & you’re testing in bright light (preferably outdoors w/back to the sun)
You can pour your testing mixture back into the squirty bottle & perform the last part of the test as many times as you need to feel confident in what you’re seeing. I normally do it 3 or 4 times.
Ohhhhhhh, okay. I didn't do any of that. I will today. Thank you.
I'm off to get another cup of coffee, finish that video, order chlorine, and read some more.
Will check back later.
Again, thanks for all the help!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.