Bwdonohues58

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 22, 2019
Homer, AK
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a Hayward C3030 swim clear filter I installed in June, 2020. It came with the genuine filters. Since then I have put in 2 sets of filters I bought from Amazon for about half the cost of the genuine Haywards. Amazon wants $240.00 for a set of 4 plus $69.00 for shipping. I just replaced a set of the cheaper ones because after I cleaned them, the pressure built up in 3-4 weeks. This causes the flow rate to slow down and the heater won’t come on unless I up the rpm’s of the pump. The Hayward rep said that when this happens, I have to clean or replace the filters.
The cheaper ones Lasted about a year. I can get these or similar from them for $129.00 with free prime shipping. My recollection is that the Hayward filters lasted a lot longer. I clean these once a month. Any thoughts? If the Hayward ones are better, do they clean the water better? Or am I just paying for the name?

Attachments

• C349B417-D890-4FB0-B044-DC06C8E8DC2C.jpeg
    C349B417-D890-4FB0-B044-DC06C8E8DC2C.jpeg
    468.5 KB · Views: 3

You don't have a filter problem; you have an algae problem.

Hayward filters don't filter any better than off-brand filters. The issue is that something is clogging the filter, so what could it be?

The obvious answer is algae, even if you can't see it yet.

Cartridges themselves should last for 5 or more.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Have you done a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you have an algae problem clogging your filters?

It is more likely your water chemistry has changed from when your Hayward filter lasted you a year to now.

I have a Hayward C3030 swim clear filter I installed in June, 2020. It came with the genuine filters. Since then I have put in 2 sets of filters I bought from Amazon for about half the cost of the genuine Haywards. Amazon wants $240.00 for a set of 4 plus $69.00 for shipping. I just replaced a set of the cheaper ones because after I cleaned them, the pressure built up in 3-4 weeks. This causes the flow rate to slow down and the heater won’t come on unless I up the rpm’s of the pump. The Hayward rep said that when this happens, I have to clean or replace the filters.
The cheaper ones Lasted about a year. I can get these or similar from them for $129.00 with free prime shipping. My recollection is that the Hayward filters lasted a lot longer. I clean these once a month. Any thoughts? If the Hayward ones are better, do they clean the water better? Or am I just paying for the name?
SuperPro is a private branded cartridge by Filbur. It is made for SCP, about the largest wholesaler of pool products there is, they have many pieces of equipment branded that way by many manufacturers.

bw - must agree w the majority of the folks that you have an algae problem. no one should be cleaning their pool filters monthly unless your having dust storms 1-2 times per week. If you are cleaning those filters 12 times/yr, depending on the PSI you're using to clean the filters, that amt of continuous pressure is wearing out the pleats and the seams holding them. How often did you have to clean the original filters when pool was new?

Once you fix your algae problem, put hairnets inside your skimmers too. Then you shouldn't have to clean your filters anymore than 1 time/yr, at the very most...

Few other questions: how do you test for your free chlorine ? What type of pool testing kit do you have?

Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.