Are copper ionizers worth it?

PashkaTLT

May 23, 2022
NJ, US
Hello,
You guys have probably heard about copper ionizers, like this one:

I got 2 of them and I don't really see copper levels increasing, so I'm afraid to decrease my chlorine levels.

Also, here are my calculations:
I currently use 50 lb of chlorine tablets per season = $240/season
The ionizer's manufacturer claims I will decrease my chlorine levels by 80%. Although there's a conflicting claim, as they recommend to still have 2-3 ppm of chlorine, which is not 80% less than I normally use.
Let's say I will be able to use only 1/3 of my current chlorine = $240/3 = $80/season
For my 30K gallon pool I will need 2 ionizers = 2x$120 = $240
And I will need to buy replacement copper rods every season = $70/pair = $70/season
So without the accounting for the ionizers price, I would be able to save $240 - ($80 + $70) = $90/season.
So it will take more than 2 years to pay off the ionizers' price and only then I will be able to save $90/season.
But I will also need to brush off the oxidized copper rods every 5 - 7 days (otherwise it will prevent effective copper ionization), which is not a very quick task.
Another problem is that after 3 weeks of using the ionizer, the copper level in my pool is about 0.1 - 0.2 (measured by 2 different tests) and the recommended level is 0.4 - 0.9. The manufacturer claimed good level will be reached in about a week.

So to me, it seems that it's not worth it, but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe these things work really well, and I really will be able to use 80% less chlorine (I think I normally use 4-6ppm of the top of my head) and that the ionizers work even if I don't see expected copper levels in the pool?
What do you guys think?

But I trusted thousands of great reviews on Amazon
You've been here for over a year. You know what we think of 'out there'. We openly welcome anyone who wants to get off the turnip truck, but we will not join them.

Maybe these things work really well, and I really will be able to use 80% less chlorine
(This needs its own comment for future readers)

There are are 3 government approved sanitation methods : Chlorine, Bromine and Baqua. One of these must be fully followed at all times to be sanitary.

Anything else is considered a secondary sanitizing method. If you're already fully sanitized, why do you need more sanitizing ? If you lower your primary sanitizer, you are no longer sanitary, even with the secondary device.

It is never a good idea to add metals to a pool.

I currently use 50 lb of chlorine tablets per season = $240/season
The ionizer's manufacturer claims I will decrease my chlorine levels by 80%. Although there's a conflicting claim, as they recommend to still have 2-3 ppm of chlorine, which is not 80% less than I normally use.
Let's say I will be able to use only 1/3 of my current chlorine = $240/3 = $80/season

So in addition to what everyone else already said, those calculations aren't correct.

TLDR: If it costs you $240 to maintain FC at 6ppm, it'll also cost you around $240 to maintain it at 2ppm.

Once you set the chlorine concentration in your pool, the cost to keep the pool chlorinated is dependent only on the rate at which chlorine disappears and must be replenished. That rate (assuming that it's only from the sun's UV and not also from algae) is more or less constant -- most people here report around 2-4 ppm per day -- REGARDLESS of the level that you're trying to maintain.

So if the magical copper thing lets you maintain 2 ppm of chlorine instead of 6 ppm, you'll save money -- but only a few pennies on the INITIAL increase of chlorine from 0 ppm, the first day. After that first day, you'll pay for the 2-4 ppm of chlorine that disappears every day, whether you're trying to maintain 6 ppm or 2 ppm.

Copper can cause extensive staining to your pool. Avoid anything that adds copper or other metals to your water.

1686878705196.png

Reactions: Bperry
But I trusted thousands of great reviews on Amazon
The thing about any pool chemical related review on Amazon is that they always follow the same formula, "pool gets green, pool store and/or online recommendations has them adding tons of stuff, eventually something happens that clears the water, last thing added is the miracle answer that everyone should follow!" If someone accidentally mowed grass clippings in to their pool and it got more clear they'd tell everyone to give it a try. "You don't know if you don't try!" :rolleyes:

Heck, we had someone here a few weeks ago say that adding calcium to a pool will clear it overnight. :LOL:

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.