Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My Aquarite SWG T-15 cell is 4 yr old, the warranty is 1yr. I've removed it from my system each year and stored it in the garage. Last year I noticed that the product label that goes around the middle cylinder came off. When the pump was running, there were water drops originating from the seam under the label. The label was located on a 4"diameter cylinder that is 1.75" long, and at each end of the cylinder is a small step to a diameter ~4.125". The seam is about 3/4" from one end of the cylinder.

This year it drips is every 3-5 seconds.

I'm considering fixing this using one of the following options
- Rubber/Silicon Tape
-Adhesive/Epoxy, These are available in putty and liquid forms. Could I simply run a bead of PVC adhesive around the seam?
-Fiberglass Wrap
-Rubber and Hose clamp. I like the hose clamp idea because if it doesn't work, I can try the other alternatives. I'd have to find a 4" rubber ring less than 1.75" long that would stretch over the 4.125" diameter step to sit on the 4" cylinder, and then put on a pipe clamp. I found a flexible coupling I could buy that is 4" long with a clamp on each end. I could cut it and only use one clamp. At the ends of a cylinder is a small step which I could likely pull the rubber over.
I live in Ontario and all the hardware stores are closed due to COVID with curbside pickup only. So I can't just take it in to see what fits.

Any recommendations/suggestions.
Thanks

Image below shows location of seam.

Video file linked below shows droplet formation

The cell is still turned off. I want to make sure I understand the concern. Is the danger in the high chlorine content of the water or the pressure.

Attachments

• Leaking SWG under label.JPG
    Leaking SWG under label.JPG
    362.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
JamesW,
Thanks for the heads up, this could be a lifesaver!

The Hayward phone line is closed on weekends, so I was wondering if you could show me where I could find information stating a 5 yr warranty for systems that have S/N starting with '5'.

The warranty info I found on Hayward's website

It states
"The Hayward chlorinators are backed by the best warranty in the industry. All Aqua Rite® and Aqua Trol® systems have a 3 year limited warranty. While the Aqua Logic® system also has a 3 year limited warranty, the accessory products are only covered for 1 year. The details of the warranty have varied slightly over the years and the warranty that applies to your system is the one that was in effect at the time your system was manufactured.

Initially, I must have misread the warranty info and considered the cell as an accessory.
I find it confusing to find what the warranty was at the time my system was manufactured.

Thanks

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks James.

I called Hayward and their initial customer service response was leaky cells are due to freezing which is not covered by warranty. I persisted and convinced them to look at photos to evaluate. I sent interior and exterior photos, explained that the label came off last year due to moisture underneath the label which covered the leaky seam, and that I thought freezing would also damage the cell fins inside.

After a couple days, I got a reply asking where to ship the new cell. But it didn't actually say they were shipping one. So I think its covered, but I just realized that it might have been someone simply updating my address in their data base.
Fingers crossed, I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.