Aquarite SWG needing more flow to generate

blk94f150

Mar 29, 2013
I have a Hayward Aquarite SWG with a VS pump and it's taking more and more flow over time to get it to generate vs no flow. The system is about 2 years old, filters are clean, and there doesn't seem to be any obvious restrictions.

Could the flow switch already be bad or something else?

How are you determining the system needs more flow?

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

What model pump and filter do you have?

When was the last time you cleaned your filter?

What is your filter PSI?

I'm running much higher RPM than last year to get the SWG to generate, probably 40%.

Pump is a Tristar VS 900, 5psi/1600rpm at minimum flow to trip sensor, 17psi at 2875rpm.

If I recall correctly it would generate last year at around 1150rpm.

Last cleaned the filters maybe 3 weeks ago. I disassembled most of the plumbing to see if anything else was clogged. Found some debris on the salt cell grid but that's all cleaned up.

WC3030 filter, heat pump heater. Every supply individual ran with 1.5in hard pipe and every return 2.5in hard pipe.

Seems funny that I have to run so much more speed than last year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm sure the experts will guide you to a good answer. Two other things to consider are cartridges at end of life (but that would be verifiable by filter pressure as you've been asked to provide; is that the same as last year?) and a clogged pump; maybe a fouled rotor. Some kind of breakage in the heater is a long shot but possible. E.g. some have bypass valves that can shed parts.

I'm sure the experts will guide you to a good answer. Two other things to consider are cartridges at end of life (but that would be verifiable by filter pressure as you've been asked to provide; is that the same as last year?) and a clogged pump; maybe a fouled rotor. Some kind of breakage in the heater is a long shot but possible. E.g. some have bypass valves that can shed parts.
The whole pool and systems are only 2 seasons old. Could be that the filters aren't brand new. I'm wondering if the pump impeller might be fouled where I can't reach or something.

The whole pool and systems are only 2 seasons old. Could be that the filters aren't brand new. I'm wondering if the pump impeller might be fouled where I can't reach or something.
Yeah cartridges should last more than 2 years. To be sure you can just run the system without them. See if flow improves.

The only two ways I know to check for pump clogs are fishing around with something blunt from the basket housing and disassembling the pump. Others may have more or better info.

Came home to a green pool and now need 1875rpm to trip the generator. I'm going to try swapping in new filters and checking everything for obstructions. Could be coated with pollen I guess. I tsp soaked them before winter last year.

If new filters don't do it I guess I'll swap out the flow switch.

I disassembled all of the plumbing to check for any obstructions and then ran it briefly without the filters. Everything worked like normal.

I tried the hose nozzle cleaner thing and it wasn't doing anything but removing large loose debris. I said the heck with it and carefully pressure washed them because my alternative was just buying new ones so what the heck.

They now look like new and it trips the flow switch at 1000rpm. I had even tsp soaked them at the end of last season and had cleaned them multiple times with the hose end. From now on it's straight to the pressure washer, new ones, or swap out the cartridge filter for sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.