Indio, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
1) SALT LEVEL - The recommended level is 2700-3400, with 3200 being ideal.

Q: What technically makes 3200 ideal vs other levels?

Q: The cell will shut down (HIGH SALT LED) when AMPS are above max, but does anyone know what the salt reading would be just before HIGH SALT warning?

Q: What technically is happening to the cell between the 3400 and HIGH SALT reading? Hayward recommends dilution at 3600. My SALT reading is 4000 (confirmed by K1766 and new TCELL940), AMPS are fine at ±25-26, no warning lights. I just need to now how important it is to reduce it down to the 3200-3400 range. (It does NOT rain here, so there will be no overflow dilution)

2) SLAM

Q: Does anyone have any data pertaining to damage/degradation to the salt cell during a SLAM? My last SLAM was 80 CYA = 30 Chlorine, 3 days of SLAM and 8 days to drift down, That’s 11 days of extreme high chlorine.

The engineers that designed your system designed it as 3200 being optimum. Other brands have different operating parameters. Higher salt levels make the water even more conductive. This can cause a higher amp draw than the system is designed to handle. Cell and power-supply damage can be the result.

Last edited:
Q: The cell will shut down (HIGH SALT LED) when AMPS are above max, but does anyone know what the salt reading would be just before HIGH SALT warning?

Depends on your cell. The board should shut down at 8 amps.

The Hayward system does not have a salinity sensor. It just uses the volts and amps the cell draws to lookup what a new cell salnity would be. So the salinity is a calculated number, not a measured number, often having nothing to do with reality.

Q: What technically is happening to the cell between the 3400 and HIGH SALT reading? Hayward recommends dilution at 3600. My SALT reading is 4000 (confirmed by K1766 and new TCELL940), AMPS are fine at ±25-26, no warning lights. I just need to now how important it is to reduce it down to the 3200-3400 range. (It does NOT rain here, so there will be no overflow dilution)

Amps are not 25-26. Amps will range from 2 to 8. A normal cell with salinity around 3200 has amps in the low 6's.

High amps create heat on the board which burns out components and solder joints. The higher the amps the more likely the board will eventually fail. Read Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading

2) SLAM

Q: Does anyone have any data pertaining to damage/degradation to the salt cell during a SLAM? My last SLAM was 80 CYA = 30 Chlorine, 3 days of SLAM and 8 days to drift down, That’s 11 days of extreme high chlorine.

High chlorine levels have no effect on the SWG cell. None.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.